Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a moonshine company around me that sells their "seconds" jars. They may have some lines, maybe a small bubbles, just not completely perfect. Has anyone ever used seconds jars for canning? How do they work out? Any problems?? They are really cheap $3.00/dozen. I have used some and have not had any problems so far.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would definitely try them but would probably use them more for dehydrator foods storage (almost 150 jars tied up in dehydrated foods right now) instead of risking breakage in the canner. Also I would use them for water bath instead of pressure canning.

·
Thumb of Michigan
228 Posts
If you have used them before without problems use some more. If you look at new Ball jars right out of the package they are not all perfect.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I would buy them in a second. If they break during canning, then so be it. It is worth the price even if you only get 8 good ones out of a dozen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the others - definitely dehydrated foods and water bath. I would be a little more leary about pressure canning, but if they've worked previously, then so be it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts