bleeding, disbudded buckling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

We disbudded the kids last weekend. So far everyone has been fine. Just a bit ago, I was out at the barn, and witnessed the head butt that started the smallest buckling bleeding. Heavy bleeding, which took me by surprise! It was pouring down his face! So, here I am, typing with a kid in my lap. A little pressure took care of it. My concern is, how long should I wait to put him back out with the others? A couple hours good enough? Or do I need to keep him up for a day or so? He's dam raised, but I can bring his mom up for nursing if need be, then take him away again.

Suggestions?

Meg

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would hit the bleeding area with the hot iron again, cauterize it good, spray it with furox, if I had to go deep or it was nearer to his eye, I would give him a little banamine and get him out with his friends. he is going to be alot more stressed being alone than he could ever be in with his buddies, and stress in kids brings on cocci and worm burdens.

Just like in our children, head wounds just seem to bleed alot more than anywhere else. And although I haven't tried it Epi is supposed to be really good for stopping this kind of bleeding...anyone tried it yet? Vicki

3. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Mine little kid did the same thing. I stopped the bleeding and applied a little blue kote and put him back in the pen. He has been fine, no more bleeding. The first few days after disbudding they are tender, but after a bit, it is fine and can take the head butts.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Mine did the same thing too. I left him where he was and checked him a few minutes later. The bleeding seemed to have stopped, but he had blood all in his face and almost covering one eye. I let it stay that way for a couple of hours, just to let the clot set well. Then I went out with some warm water and washed off the excess blood, avoiding the wound. No problem since then. Really, goats seem to be remarkably durable with respect to wounds.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, Barbeque Four is doing fine. I would have liked to have taken the original advise and re-burnt, but I was alone, and there was no way he was fitting in the disbudding box he fit in a week ago!! So, I kept him in my lap for a few hours, until he started to get a bit restless. (he mostly slept, and just grumped at me when I moved my arm...his pillow.) When he had to pee, though, he wanted down! He didn't get excited until he heard his mom call him when we were headed back out to the barn.

On a side note, since I was holding a goat, I couldn't clean up. In fact, it was so pleasant holding a sleeping kid, that I forgot about the mess we'd made. Then my son came home from work for lunch. I heard him pull into the driveway. A minute later the back door burst open, and he came in yelling, "Mom, are you okay? Mom?" I'd forgotten there were bloody towels on the carport steps, blood spots up the steps to the mudroom, and the mudroom floor was well splattered where I had come in for the towels. Scared the beejeebers out of him!! I made sure to clean it up before the hubby got home!

Meg