Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long after kidding should bleeding last? My doe was bred when I got her and she is pretty young. Its been about two weeks now and shes still bleeding, not a huge amount but enough to get her tail covered in blood. How long is normal and when should I start thinking about a vet?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,210 Posts
If covered in blood is accurate, and blood means red blood of normal blood consistency, then I would call the vet.

If it’s just blood tinged goopy discharge, then wait a bit.

Is she getting a good loose high copper mineral supplement?

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
My gals will have blood-tinged discharge up to 5 weeks after kidding.

But like Alice said, if it's frankly hemorrhagic, call your vet.

Reactions: mzgarden

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,132 Posts
I'm a goat novice on most things but an alpine breeder I've followed closely over the past several years feeds raspberry leaves to help her does after birthing (good for reproductive health in many species). But a vet call would be a good idea just to rule out anything abnormal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If covered in blood is accurate, and blood means red blood of normal blood consistency, then I would call the vet.

If it’s just blood tinged goopy discharge, then wait a bit.

Is she getting a good loose high copper mineral supplement?
She has access to it but all my goats have been turning their noses up to minerals unless I sneak it into their alfalfa. The actual discharge is just a small amount of blood tinged goop. The hair on the underside of her tail was covered in red but that may have been because it was absolutely pouring out earlier and her being wet made it get everywhere, this was the first time her tail had blood like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts