Bleeding a pig

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scottdoyle, Jul 15, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

I am butchering a 50 pound BBQ pig. How long to I need to hang it to bleed out?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you cut the jugular vein in his throat it only takes about 5 minutes. Do it imeadiatly after you knock him out, or shoot him.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Same answer for any animal. Until the blood stops running. As uncle Will, said, that's only about 5 minutes on a medium animal.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

in a clean fly free enviroment then chill when bled! don't want too hear of a pig roast with stomach aches!

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot it, best to use a 22 between the eyes. He will drop instantly. step in and cut his throat. You'll see the pumping of the blood. Can you handle it? It gets kinda rank in the summer time.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

excuse me...
    has anyone ask the pig how they feel about this?

most folks take the "oink oink oink to mean "kill me kill me" but I dont think it means that.

sit down and discuss it with thepig, and try to unbderstand his view as he jabbers away in pig at you... you might not want to whack him after that.

if you do, my kin who used to do such things without asking always said whack the piggy with a hammer out cold and then slit his throat, let the heart pump them dry. I did watch them do this (without asking) my uncle used a railroad spike sledge, sort of a blunt pointy hammer. one skillful whack, pig drops and sighs, still breathing but out, and yes in about 5 min he is empty and stops breathing.

I always wondered how they knoew the pig was out cold.... my uncle said "he dont answer when you call his name does he? musta not heard ya."

how quaint....

Just my second hand knowledge, any animals i butcher were dead when the cars hit em.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

You want to catch the Blood have you a Big Cup full. :eek: You think I'm BSing,seen lots of people do it.

Make some Blood Pudding to ;)

big rockpile