Bleating goat - length of labor?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BucksCtyCowgirl, May 14, 2005.

1. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

Our goat is due tomorrow (both hers and our first kidding). She has been bleating continuously for the last 4 hours. She has no mucus hanging from her yet. How long do you think the whole process could take? I know it seems like a stupid question, but my father has been in the hospital this week, and I'm a little frantic about the timing of everything. Is it possible she could bleat all day and not kid until tomorrow? Is there a point at which I should start worrying about her not making progress? Please respond!

PS - One more thing. She has a 1/2 acre pasture, but we've been keeping her in her stall (fresh straw, etc) for the last 3 nights in case anything happened. She wants to go out in the pasture, but I'm worried that I'll never be able to get her back in the stall to kid. Any thoughts?

2. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    There's due and there's due. My last kidding was 5 days late but I take it that's unusual. This one never did show a discharge but the tendons told the tale. Keep a watch on those and I bet you'll know what the window will be. Supposed to be within 12 hours when the tendons finally go. As mentioned in a recent thread the bleating just prior to and during birthing is totally different than usual sounds so I think you'll know when you hear it. If you believe she is in labor and is having trouble that's a whole nother thing and more experienced hands here can offer advice.

I keep the expectant mom in confinement the the last week unless I am out with her. Maybe you've seen this site:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/kidding.htm

It guided me through my first kidding and I look it over each time a new one comes along. Good luck!

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldnt let her out either.

If she starts scooching like shes gonna pee and doesnt thats labor.

Restlessness is also a sign. Pawing the ground.

I'd check her every half hour. Is her udder full?

4. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

She just dropped her mucus plug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

6. BucksCtyCowgirl

BucksCtyCowgirl Member

It's been 14 hours since she woke us up bleating this morning. We've gone through several different phases, loud breathing, etc., but no pushing. Now she's pensive, quiet, and getting up and down like she's uncomfortable. Several small bits of mucus have come out over the last 10 hours. This isn't too long, is it? I keep thinking she should be in the pushing stage by now.

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to differ but she was probally bleating because she want'ed OUT! You really shouldn't pen a doe unless she actually is in Labor, She Needs the exercise, and to be able to position her kids for the birthing process, I 've had goats for ten years and delivered 11 kids this year already, and have another due like yesterday.. When I first started I penned them up too, There is a Lot to learn. They can pass their mucus plus as much as 2+ weeks before kidding. Check her tendons, If they aren't loosened she's not close as in Hours away, and watch her udder for tight filling. they go anywhere from 145- 155 days typically