Bleach burns?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Tracy Rimmer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Okay, so I'm an idiot. I attribute it to doing something unthinkingly rather than outright stupidity, of course, but the outcome is pretty much the same.

I used straight bleach to clean my white arborite countertops because I'd lost patience with every other cleaner I've tried, and forgot to put on rubber gloves. I use bleach a lot to clean, but only diluted. I just didn't think, and now, I have what appear to be bleach burns on my hands.

I've tried lotion, I've tried aloe vera gel, and the skin on my hand is still really irritated. Suggestions?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My daughter had this reaction too....silverdeen? for burns is what we used and bag balm....it looks red and peely/blotchy? It was 2-3 weeks healing and no cleaning products near the tender skin ever again!!!

Hope it heals quickly!

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i wash my hands in stright bleech never seemed to bother my hands then again my hands are like leather

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

vinegar, then soak your hands in epsom salts and water! don't play with bleach without hand and eye protection!
    vinegar is mild acid, bleach alkaline, may hurt but will kill the alkali

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Yes -- peely and blotchy and ITCHY and BURNY.... sounds like I'm naming cartoon characters, doesn't it? :) 2-3 weeks. Great. I have a conference in two weeks, I was rather hoping it would be gone by then. No one is going to want to shake my hand.

Which, in the middle of flu season may not be such a bad thing :)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

Tracy

6. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Yeah, I got it one time from pool chlorinator, not much you can do, just wait, I do remember it taking a good while to heal, seems like I always get it under my ring, I don't know if the metal reacts with the bleach or if it is just because the ring traps the chemical under it.