Blade sharpening?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sarah J, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have a set of Shearmaster shears...it was new last Fall and has sheared six sheep...I tried to do one of my ewes today and got most of her belly and udder sheared, but they are really dull now and not cutting worth anything. I gave up.

Anyone know where I can send them to get sharpened? I've checked around here and no one appears to know anything...they all hire out to get their sheep sheared and never worry about keeping their own set so never bothered to find out where to sharpen them. The places that sharpen lawn mower blades just looked at me like I was growing an extra head or something. :no:

So I thought maybe I could ship them off somewhere to get the whole set checked and make sure everything is working right and get the blades sharpened? Help?

On the plus side, under all that wool (about 6 inches worth!) I discovered that my ram lamb (about 9 months old) has, indeed been doing his job while we weren't looking! I'm estimating late April for my first set of spring lambs. :)

Thanks!

Sarah

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Where abouts are you Sarah, shipping the whole set out could get expensive!! Ask at the local dog groomer where they send theirs to or maybe they have a sharpener. I have a sharpener and do my own so its not completely unrealistic. Heck I'll sharpen the blades if you like but clipper overhaul isn't something I try or at least when I have its not been pretty.

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Premier sells just about everything a shepherd could want, with a specialization in fencing and shearing equipment. We send combs and cutters back to them every year for sharpening. The spendy part is the postage, but we think it's worth it. I believe Midstates Supply has a similar service too. If you do send blades out to a professional service, or find someone to sharpen them for you, remember that the combs and the cutters must both be sharpened. Here's Premier's website:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

Susan

4. Sarah J

I'm in Northwest Iowa..."local" dog groomer...that's a bit of a ways away but I can call them to see...hadn't thought of that! And I'll look at Premier's site, too.

Thanks!

Sarah

5. Sarah J

Update: Emailed Premier1 and got very polite and prompt responses! They do shear blade sharpening for $2.50 and will even sharpen my Oster Golden A5 blades for $6 each...$6 return shipping and he said that there's a one day turn around. Obviously this is not a difficult thing for them to do! :haha: AND the address is in Iowa...

I'm pleased and will send them in.

Also got a tip for cleaning them between sheep: I was putting them in a bowl of oil (not all the way in - just running them in there to clean them up and oil them rather than using a Kool Lube spray or something). They suggested a bowl of water and oil on top of the water - the water dissolves the lanolin and the blades are oiled as you pull them out again. I never thought of the water!

Okay - learn something new every day, right?

Thanks for the help!

Sarah