Blacktop patch for goat barn floor?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Nancy_in_GA, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried using blacktop patch for a barn or shed floor? If you packed it into a 2-3" form and tamped it down lightly, do you think it might be porous enough to drain reasonably well and still hold together well enough for just human and goat traffic (no vehicles)?

Any opinions, experience?

Our barn is fairly small with a dirt floor which gets lower every time we clean it out. Our goats don't stay in the barn much except when it's raining, and that's of course when drainage is most important.

Expense in not really an issue if we could solve this problem, at least for a few years.

I should add that delivery of anything (dirt, sand, gravel, etc) directly inside the barn would be almost impossible, and would involve a lot of shoveling, wheelbarrowing, dumping and spreading, and I really would like to avoid this kind of work on a regular basis (or even once, for that matter :) ).

Nancy

2. ann

ann Well-Known Member

Asphalt if done right will drain well. You want a mix with large stone. Maybe a 25mm base type would work or ask about open grade friction course.

3. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, Ann.

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Landscapers use some kind of epoxy mix to bind pea gravel together. It's super strong and porous. I would expect it would work with larger gravel (3/4 minus) for bigger pores.

We mixed ours in a cement mixer and then poured it. I remember it flowing like warm rice crispy bars.