blacktails anyone?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by huntress4203, Oct 27, 2006.

1. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

The first year hunting here, I quickly figured out that one doesn't hunt blacktails like whitetails and mulies. I was used to a tree stand on the east coast. No one hunts like that here. They either road hunt or spot and/or stalk. In three years I have seen 2 bucks. At this point in my own hunting, I still don't mind shooting just a doe but I was wondering if anyone else on the list has hunted coastal blacktails.

Glo

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I grew up on the west side coastal region of Oregon. The biggest difference I know of is the heavy underbrush to contend with. I have friends that hunt there and they spend alot of time glassing opening and clearcut areas.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Yep, that is the only deer we hunt. Oregonsparkie is right and you find a nice clear cut area and watch for them to come out of the woods. Or you can find a canyan and walk the rim. Deer stands are useless, except like on our property where we have a creek and know the habits of the deer visiting for their early morning or late afternoon drink.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I've never even seen a blacktail. Good hunting!

5. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Hey out of curiousity why don't the same methods work, we have some very thick cover in these parts and stands still work well. Is it a lack of deer or maybe different habbits???

6. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

REALLY, REALLY thick cover....usually consisting of knee-waist high ferns...als, the ground is not flat at all. First thing I had to overcome was my being a "flat lander" and learn to climb like a deer or elk