Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all fix them (I will cross post on the cooking board, but it seems I get a better response here with prep type items)

I am frm the north, and have never eaten them. I hit the jackpot at the Mennonite salvage and one of the items I got was black eyed peas (dry) for .29 a lb. I bought tons....You would laugh to see my little car loaded down. I blew my Christmas money frpm my Aunts (100 dollars), and got 20 lbs blackeyed peas, 20 lbs barley, lemons 15 for 1.00, grapefruit 4/1, apples .49 lb (6 types, I bought fuji) chopped romaine .39 a bag, 20 cans of chicken broth (only .29 a can, I pay more than ten cents a lid plus energy to can my own) 15 cans cream of celery soup (.29 a can also), hormel chili, no beans, .45 a can, mary kitchen corned beef hash,50 cents each, ziplock brand freezer bags, 40 ct quart 1.09, 5 lb block of meunster cheese $10, fresh pork, 99 lb, and the grandpappy jackpot, ricotta 1.00 for a 3 lb container (exp jan 31). I am making raviolis this week, stuffed shells tomorrow, and DH plans to make sauce with both ricotta and meat balls.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Congrats on the Mennonite jackpot! Sounds like great food!

As for black eyed peas, we eat them pretty often....they are easy and fast to fix.

I start them soaking the night before. Put them (1 pound) into a pot of water, stir and look for stones, bad beans, etc. Rinse and fill pot again, and leave overnight.

The next day boil vigorously for 2-3 hours. Stir often to prevent sticking, and add more water if needed. I also add 2 teaspoons salt, black pepper, some garlic, one medium onion chopped, and some ham or bacon cubes. Sometimes I also add a package of Goya pork seasoning. The water thickens as the beans cook, and by the time the beans are soft they're ready to pour over cornbread.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My MIL fixes black eyed peas every New Year's. Something about the more you eat, the wealthier you'll be for the year. Anyway, whenever she fixes them, I swear they taste like dirt. I'm assuming that this isn't how they're supposed to taste, right?

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
My MIL fixes black eyed peas every New Year's. Something about the more you eat, the wealthier you'll be for the year. Anyway, whenever she fixes them, I swear they taste like dirt. I'm assuming that this isn't how they're supposed to taste, right?
Maybe she don't clean them before she cooks them.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Beans are good for your heart, and the more you eat the more....ok, never mind. hee hee.

No, they aren't supposed to taste like dirt. I think maybe she needs to add some ham hocks, or pork parts, and some seasonings. Plain, they aren't too tasty, but seasoned they're really yummy! I even add in frozen chopped spinach.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
If your talking about dry blackeyed peas you just purty much cook them like you do pinto beans. I sort through them picking out any broken ones and any stems and dirt rocks, etc. out of them and then wash them. Place in a pot and cover with about 2 inches of water over the top of the peas and then boil them for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a crockpot and add hamhock or bacon and a good tablespoon of salt. Cook on high heat for several hours and serve.

I like to eat mine with Jalopenos chopped up in them.

·
Pragmatist
2,092 Posts
A Southern favorite:

Hoppin' John

* 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
* 2 sm smoked ham hocks or 1 meaty ham bone
* 2 med onions, divided
* 3 lg cloves garlic, halved
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 cup long-grain white rice
* 1 can (10 to 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes w/ chile peppers, juice reserved
* 1 med red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
* 3 ribs celery, chopped
* 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
* 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
* 3/4 tsp ground cumin
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 4 green onions, sliced

Prep:
In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine the black-eyed peas, ham bone or ham hocks, and 6 cups water. Cut 1 of the onions in half and add it to the pot along with the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ham bone or hocks, cut off the meat; dice and set aside. Drain the peas and set aside. Remove and discard the bay leaf, onion pieces, and garlic.

Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Mince the remaining onion then add to the rice along with the peas, tomatoes, and their juices, red and green bell pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, cumin, and salt. Cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onions and the reserved diced ham. Serve with hot sauce and freshly baked cornbread.

Black Eyed Pea Salad

* 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
* 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
* 1 sm sweet red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* Basil Dressing
* 1/4 cup cider vinegar
* 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
* 2 to 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 cup olive oil
* fresh basil or parsley for garnish

Prep:
In a serving bowl combine black-eyed peas, 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped onion, celery, and green pepper. Set aside.

In a small bowl or other container, whisk together the vinegar, basil, garlic, sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil until the dressing is well blended. You can use a blender for this step, if desired.

In a medium bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, and basil dressing. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve with a garnish of fresh parsley or basil, if desired.

Another really good recipe, of which there are dozens of versions, is Texas Caviar. Most often served at parties as a dip, but is great on top of salads, too.

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
Do a search for Texas Caviar.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I love Hoppin John and Gen gives a great recipe :)

I always save my Christmas Ham bone with some meat on it and I use that to flavor black eyed peas for New Year's Day. Down here it is said if you eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day your new year will be prosperous.

I also enjoy okra cooked into my black eyed peas and ham. I suppose some would consider it an aqquired taste and may have "texture" issues with it but I was raised eating it that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts