Blackberry Vines

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Jan 14, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I HAVE A ROW OF OLD GROWTH BLACK BERRY VINES IN THE MIDDLE OF A CLEARING, ON A SMALL PINE TREE FARM WE JUST PURCHASED. THEY HAVEN'T BEEN TAKEN CARE OF IN YEARS. THEY ARE IN A SINGLE ROW PROBABLY 100-FEET LONG. I WOULD LIKE TO TRANSPLANT THEM TO THE EDGE OF THE OPEN GROUND CLOSER TO THE CABIN. THRERE IS DEER, AND WILD HOGS ON THE PROPERTY, I WILL PROBABLY PUT AN ELECTRIC FENCE AROUND THEM. I WOULD THINK THAT YOU WOULD CUT THEM BACK TO MAYBE 8-10 INCHES, AND JUST DIG THEM UP. THE GROUND IS SANDY, I DOUGHT I WOULD GET THEM UP WITH ANY SOIL AROUND THE ROOTS. IN THE PAST WHEN I TRANSPLANTED SOMETHING BARE ROOTED, I JUST PUT THEM IN A BUCKET OF WATER TO KEEP THE ROOTS FROM SEALING UP, TILL I COULD GET THEM IN THE GROUND. I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF A GARDERNER. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS. :eek:

2. I'd suggest you wait and see how they produce before you put time and labor into moving them. If they are good producers, then move them.

"This method is for pruning upright blackberries (not the trailing blackberries which grow on vines that lay directly on the ground);
    Tip (cut off the tips) of the new canes at a height of 24 to 30 inches to form branched canes.

As growth starts, remove all dead and weak canes or branches and head (trim the top of) the branches back to a length of 12 to 15 inches or to the degree that the canes can support the expected crop.

After the crop is harvested, remove the 2-year-old wood to stimulate the new canes and remove sources of diseases."

3. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

if u want to move em, ur method sounds ok. heck they'll grow from a 3 inch piece of root so moving a whole plant should be no problem. and dont feel u r sacrificing anything by cutting them back so severely. they fruit only on newer wood (last year's wood, i think). that old stand probably wont produce much unless u prune out the old canes.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When I separate my blackberries I find that I lose more than half of the plants. No problem, the survivors are VERY vigorous and happily fill in any gaps.

I think you have a good plan going. :)