Blackberry seeds

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where I could buy some blackberry seeds ? I would like to have some of those big breeds called Kiowa(I think). I should be ready to plant them permanently in aprox. 2 yrs. Someone tell me if this is a bad idea please. Thanks, Randy

2. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Blackberries[Himalayan] grow wild here- a real nuisnace-but very tasty berriesif you get past the thorns.However- hardy as they seem they won't grow just anywhere- if there is any real protracted frost they simply won't take, although they do survive cold weather.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Berries don't grow true to seeds.

That being said, the birds brought us some black rasberries, and only one of the six bushes has poor fruit. The OTHER 5 bushes have excellent black rasberries, though the yield is not as high as what the books say black rasberries should be.

But, we are glad to have them, and they cost us no work and no effort.

4. Randy Dandy

Thank you very much for your inputs. I really would like to get the larger hybrid type. I've checked several websites but cant seem to find blackberry "seeds" for sale. I'll keep looking for now. Maybe its a bad idea. I wonder if I'd be better off buying them already potted :confused:

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have never seen blackberrie seeds for sale, either. You COULD, of course, buy the blackberry fruit and plant them.

If you want something predictable I would buy a potted plant or plants, and root cuttings.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

blackberry plants are typically started from sprouts/root cuttings from the parent plant. Stark's did sell these.

7. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Are you serious? You want to BUY blackberries? (I know, I know, it's a speicial type)

I don't think that you really plant blackberry seeds, I think you get cuttings.
    Here's a site you could check out, only I think it's got cuttings, but...
    http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/ProductDetails.cfm?ProductID=FE558

Check out if they're thornless or not... it makes things SO much easier if they take over

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

9. Randy Dandy

Thank you all very much. After doing some more research I still cant find any blackberry seeds. After hearing all the replies on here I believe I will just buy 1 package of plants which usually contains 3 plants and start to get cuttings and root them. TennOC do they make a thornless blackberry that can produce those large fruits like that of the Kiowa ? If not then thats ok. Does anyone know of a good idiot-proof :confused: blackberry ? One that even I cant mess up and kill and one thats "tried and true". Thanks, Randy