blackberry question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, Jul 29, 2004.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

When is the best time to transplant blackberry's?

We have a blackeberry patch in our garden but want to improve on it and make it bigger/fuller.

We have hundreds of wild blackberry plants back in the woods behind our house, and on another property we own 20 minutes away.

I would like to transpalnt some of them to our garden patch if it is possible.

Also, would inner-mingeling wild plants with domestic(?) plants be a problem?

Thanks in advance

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I transplant mine all the time. I actually do it whenever I see a new growth pop up from the ground where I had my original patch. I dig it up, put it in a pot until it takes off, then move it to it's new location.

Blackberries are amazing! You only have to buy them once! LOL

I don't know about intermingling, I bought 2 varieties (3 each) from Stark Brothers, both thornless and seedless semi-erect. They're awesome.

3. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

wild blackberries can contain a virus that doesn't bother them but affects
    domestic raspberries and I believe domestic blackberries. It's spread by bees,
    or by the vines growing closeby. We have wild blackberries going wild all
    over the place, but my raspberries didn't fruit after they flowered, for several
    years. I pulled them out :-( But we get gallons of blackberries, so I guess I
    shouldn't complain too much...

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

ozarkyehti in November you can order Wild Blackberry Plants through the Conservation Department pretty cheap.

big rockpile