blackberry pruning for higher yeilds.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by randy in central missouri, Jun 20, 2004.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

has anyone seen the video that they Doyle people sell. its the tell all guide to pruning and such for huge yeilds. What does it say? i have been doing different things to see what works.
    i snip the last 2 inches off the new verticle canes when the canes get about 5 feet high. the lateral branches really have taken off. my yeild could double just with this simple pruning.

randy

2. Does this apply to all types of blackberries, such as trailing verese erect and the new thornless?

Are yoou going to increase the amount of fertilizer you use to support the increse in fruit yield?

What type of blackberries are you doing this with?

I have several of the thornless types here and one old thorn type, don't know which one, will it work on my blackberries?
    Thanks,

3. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i would say it would work with both. the trailing, with its long stems would really benifit from this
    pruning. i am comparing the pruned and unpruned and the difference is huge. The only bad this is if your trying to get more plants and tip/root the ends in the ground, it might not be as good to get more plants. the mother plants that i did root last year had good yields . maybe even a little higher because i stuck the end in the ground. But still not as good as the ones that i just cut the tip off with. i am planning on taking one of the big stems that i have clipped the end off, after the laterals have ground several feet, clipping some of the lateral branch's tips off to encourage even more branches. i figure that if its possible to get these huge yields, than i need alot more branches.

randy

4. I am just starting with my erect thornless blackberries, so am very interested in pruning and trellises. What type of trellises are you using? After posting above, I went and found this site: http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/html/ec/ec1303/ec1303.html which shows a couple of trellises, do you use either of these types and here is what they said about pruning, is this what you are talking about?

"Erect cultivars. In the summer, remove the top 1 to 2 inches of new primocanes when they're 3 feet tall. This causes canes to branch, and these branches will produce fruit the next year. After harvest, remove the floricanes; these 2-year-old canes will die by the end of the growing season."

As I siad I am just learning and this is all Greek!

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm interested in this too. We have semi-erect thornless varieties, and this is their second year. For some reason I thought I'd bought erect ones, and so we had to transplant them this year and get them trellised. They're still doing amazingly well, and put out quite a bit of fruit. I haven't tipped them though, I've just been training the canes to the supports. We used wood fence post with 2 rows of high tensil wire, at 2 feet and 4 feet above the ground.
    Is it too late to tip them back to the height of the top wire? The main canes are probably 8 feet long now :)