Blackberry killer wanted

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kemrefarms, Oct 3, 2005.

1. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an organic way to kill off those danged blackberry bushes or the poisen oak?

2. Rone

Rone Active Member

Have you tried Crossbow, it's made by Dow AgroScience.
    It works just about all woody plants and won't hurt the grass.
    Crossbow is probaly the must popular here in Southern Oregon.
    I don't know if you can get it in California?
    If you don't live to far from Medford, you can get it at Helena Chemical
    or any Farm Supply Stores.
    Might try this site for a discription:
    http://www.cdms.net/manwebapls/1prodMWA.asp

3. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

Wish I could lend you my MIL, she's picked 1 deep freeze full of berries, plus we have 3 normal freezers full and 2 fridges of berries.

That woman can gleam a forest in 6 hours.

Do you have alot of local birds? They are probably passing the seeds in their feces and new plants are starting.

My dad dug up the bushes by the root and burned them. I think he poured gas into the hole and that killed the roots. We've not had blackberry bushes in 6 years.

Kat

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

get some goats...they'll chew thru those berries in no time!

5. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I second the goat idea they will work wonders on blackberries and poision ivy. :dance:

just call the goat a new fancy breed of dog if your in town :rock: ;)

6. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Um... I don't think pouring gas into the ground is a good idea to be passing around. I've heard that it leaves the ground poisoned for a long time.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Ever thought of paying some kids to dig them up then selling them on hte barter board??

8. joaniebalonie

joaniebalonie Well-Known Member

hi, i just registered so this is my first post after a couple months of reading only (i did start this previously and hit a wrong key, so i hope 2 don't print). my first thought upon seeing 'blackberry killer wanted' was indeed goats. when i lived in oregon i bought an old farm house and on part of the property were gi-huge-ic! blackberry vines. i was given a goat for a housewarming gift. she was so sweet (although she did munch my roses), and took to clearing the blackberries...well, after the roses were devoured actually. it didn't take long for her to expose an out-house that i had no idea was there because it was completely covered with vines! i got her a friend and between them they kept the place mowed. our property here has a lot of scrub oak and i can't wait to get a couple goats again. but does anyone know how tempting those are to goats? irresistible, i'm hoping. ciao, joanie

9. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

Thanks for all the good replies but I think I will try something I read in another post, made up of vinegar, salt and dish soap, for starters.