blackberry canes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Aug 5, 2006.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I broke some new growth shoots off tame blackberry canes,to try and get them to root.Planted them in a shaded area in compost.Is there a chance they will take off and grow?If not I plan to buy some if they are not to expensive.found a 1/2 acre patch here in the county that was awesome.Picked 3 gallon in less than 30 min.No more scrapping for wild ones(they have more flavor)everyone mows them down and getting hard to find.Going to have my own someday :)

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

they may root if they stay moist. another way may be to dig a crown and split it in half.

3. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

They root like crazy for us - we put them in peat/sand mix in 6packs or 4 inch pots, and keep a mister on them. We see good roots in a couple weeks. You can also propagate in the field by "tipping". Take a long new cane and bend it gently to the ground. Bury the end 4 inches or so WITHOUT BREAKING OFF THE TIP. This is critical - the tip is where undifferentiated cells are - they will grow into either roots or leaves, depending on whether they are upside-down in damp soil or rightside-up in warm sunshine. Leave the cane attached to the mother plant. When a nice plant is growing at the end, then snip it off, dig the plant and put it where you want it.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to try several different ways. . .

4. TnMtngirl

Thanks for the tips,have found the berries sell like crazy.May have a money maker here. :dance:

5. bjba

bjba Drifter

Wild blackberrys make a doggone good fence. Nothing will come through a well established one cept maybe a D9.

6. TnMtngirl

Have been watering them every evening, so far they have not wilted :)