Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to plant some blackberries here in Missouri. Any suggestions on where to get them? Thanks in advance.

·
le person
6,244 Posts
I have some himalyan blackberries, might be able to dig up a couple little sprouts for you, if you want. Tough plants, they will live through multiple accidental lawn mower/deer haircuts. They can be invasive, they are a vine. But they have the best berries in the world.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the best place to plant them?? Sun, shade? I would love a couple little sprouts!! Thanks so much! I was visiting my aunt over the summer and we picked blackberries and made jelly. It is wonderful!! I would just like to get my own batch growing.

·
le person
6,244 Posts
i would go with a thornless blackberry. more bang for the buck and the space. big berries, no thornless, huge yeilds. i bought mine from simmons last year and they were great.
They don't have as good a flavor, and there's something rewarding about a few scratches and basket full of berries. :D

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
southerngurl said:
They don't have as good a flavor, and there's something rewarding about a few scratches and basket full of berries. :D

I don't know about the flavor, but half the fun of picking blackberries is seeing who got the most 'war wounds!' :haha:

Meg :)

376 Posts
I have picked wild berries all my life and there is no comparison to the taste of thornless. But the yeild on thornless is amazing. i have a 2 foot by 20 foot row that yeilded 10 gallons of berries. Not only that, sugar was on sale for 99 cents a bag. the new varieties like triple crown and arapaho and navaho are very good. no thorns , no bug bites. Go out to the garden every night and pick a gallon. you cannot beat the taste of wild berries, but i don't have the time, patience or the place to pick them. I don't need scratches, i need berries.

randy

·
Registered
510 Posts
There are at least two kinds of wild blackberry. One is the Himalaya which I would not have on the property. Turn your back on them and you have something only a large tractor could deal with. There is also a small wild blackberry, with smaller seeds, that make the best pie in the world. These are sold by Raintree Nursery in Morton, WA. They are also much more gentlemanly. Raintree also gives out very good planting and care instructions with their plants.

Sandi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great information! Southerngurl is sending me a couple plants to get me started. I appreciate all the responses, I feel like I learned a lot. I will probably try some of the thornless berries too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
boston nountain nurseries
20189 N Hwy 71
Mountainburg, Arkansas 72946

also Raintree is a good source of many unusual varieties of fruits like mulberries, currants,figs,quince, and crabapples but they aren't inexpensive.

boston mountain has wholesale prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts