Blackberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkmomma, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Well-Known Member

I am wanting to plant some blackberries here in Missouri. Any suggestions on where to get them? Thanks in advance.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I have some himalyan blackberries, might be able to dig up a couple little sprouts for you, if you want. Tough plants, they will live through multiple accidental lawn mower/deer haircuts. They can be invasive, they are a vine. But they have the best berries in the world.

3. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i would go with a thornless blackberry. more bang for the buck and the space. big berries, no thornless, huge yeilds. i bought mine from simmons last year and they were great.

randy

4. trtalbott

trtalbott Well-Known Member

:eek: Please come, get mine. I have more than enough for everyone.

5. ozarkmomma

Where is the best place to plant them?? Sun, shade? I would love a couple little sprouts!! Thanks so much! I was visiting my aunt over the summer and we picked blackberries and made jelly. It is wonderful!! I would just like to get my own batch growing.

6. randy in central missouri

Plant in full sun.

do you have anything to trade? i could find you a couple of plants.

randy

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They don't have as good a flavor, and there's something rewarding about a few scratches and basket full of berries. :D

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't know about the flavor, but half the fun of picking blackberries is seeing who got the most 'war wounds!' :haha:

Meg :)

9. randy in central missouri

I have picked wild berries all my life and there is no comparison to the taste of thornless. But the yeild on thornless is amazing. i have a 2 foot by 20 foot row that yeilded 10 gallons of berries. Not only that, sugar was on sale for 99 cents a bag. the new varieties like triple crown and arapaho and navaho are very good. no thorns , no bug bites. Go out to the garden every night and pick a gallon. you cannot beat the taste of wild berries, but i don't have the time, patience or the place to pick them. I don't need scratches, i need berries.

randy

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

There are at least two kinds of wild blackberry. One is the Himalaya which I would not have on the property. Turn your back on them and you have something only a large tractor could deal with. There is also a small wild blackberry, with smaller seeds, that make the best pie in the world. These are sold by Raintree Nursery in Morton, WA. They are also much more gentlemanly. Raintree also gives out very good planting and care instructions with their plants.

Sandi

11. ozarkmomma

Thanks everyone for the great information! Southerngurl is sending me a couple plants to get me started. I appreciate all the responses, I feel like I learned a lot. I will probably try some of the thornless berries too. Thanks again!

12. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

boston nountain nurseries
    20189 N Hwy 71
    Mountainburg, Arkansas 72946

also Raintree is a good source of many unusual varieties of fruits like mulberries, currants,figs,quince, and crabapples but they aren't inexpensive.

boston mountain has wholesale prices.

13. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

Mine are thornless, and I think they are delicious. I quess I need to plant the other and see the difference.

14. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

good example of something that tastes great and is really good for you