Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought 12 blackberry bushes last week. Had intended to get the trailing type but ended up with the bushes. What type do you have and how are they doing?

U

·
0 Posts
I just set out 20 of the erect thornless ( navaho) plants which I have had in containers since I bought them a year and half ago. Any idea how long it will take to produce berries and how many I may expect? Should I put up some kind of trellis for the plants to grow on?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
on the other hand if left to their own devices the trailing thorned varieties will thicken up & spread to create a hedge that is impenetrable to people while providing refuge to tasty small animals. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unregistered said:
I just set out 20 of the erect thornless ( navaho) plants which I have had in containers since I bought them a year and half ago. Any idea how long it will take to produce berries and how many I may expect? Should I put up some kind of trellis for the plants to grow on?

Blackberries fruit on last year's wood. We sell blackberry plants and roots (www.berryfarm.com) and have upick and the Navaho is our favorite! not as vigorous a grower as some but delicious.

We have grown Navahos without a trellis - we pruned them about 3' tall and they made a nice hedge. Our trellises are a post at each end of the row with a wire at each side of the row - to keep the plants from blowing over in a strong wind, mostly. The plants themselves are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cara said:
I know you all mean domestic berries, but I still laugh about people buying blackberries because they are, along with scotchroom, the most hated plant in Western Oregon. I just think...you should come out and camp in our yard in August and pick your fill!
Tell me about it! We used to go to abandoned properties & pick enough berries for pies for the entire winter! Bummed me out when I realized I had to buy them when I moved away. What's amazing is the stores charge as if they are imports! And to think we tried everything to kill them back in Oregon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts