Blackberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mrglock27, Jul 22, 2006.

1. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I clear blackberries for a living and will soon have access to thousands and thousands of ripe berries. Has anyone made blackberry jam? If so is it easy?

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Blackberry jam is just as easy as strawberry, or any other kind. You can use the recipe in the pectin packages. It's very good.

I won't have blackberries for another month. I can't wait. I'll be putting up lots of jam.

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Very easy but asking on the cooking and crafts forum will yield you recipes besides the one on the pectin box. I strain out most of the seeds and about to make up a bunch; I don't eat it but ship a case to a friend in CA every year. He makes handmade soap and lotions. I get the better end of the bargain; he thinks he does. :)

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i just made a batch two days ago. i use certo liquid pectin and normally use the included recipes. it was not specifically listed this year. well, jam was but i prefer jelly from blackberries. i had to do an internet search for the recipe. i searched "certo blackberry jelly recipe" and BAM...there it was, lol.

3 3/4 cups blackberry juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    7 1/2 cups sugar
    2 packages of certo liquid pectin
    1/2 teaspoon of butter

combine all ingredients except pectin and bring to boil. add pectin and bring to rolling boil for 1 minute. remove from heat. remove any foam that floats to the top. pack in jars and it recommends to water bath in boiling water for 5 minutes. i always use jelly jars with rings and lids so the water bath is no problem. it says it yields 8 half pint jars but i got 9.

this was a larger batch than i made with black raspberries and my pot allowed the jelly to cook over. :flame:

i filled my jars first and removed the foam/scum in each individual jar with a spoon before the hot water bath.

5. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

It might be a lot easier and faster to just freeze them. Wash gently, air dry for 20 minutes or so and pop on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen, put into freezer bags and squeeze out most of the air. Then, when you have more time and the temperature is lower in the fall, you can use them to make jam or jelly by just defrosting what you need. (This way you also have plenty for blackberry cobbler - yum).

6. city_grown

city_grown Active Member

Is there a bag you can put the berries in to strain them. I remember my grandmother with a bag because I can remember seeing her hands all purple looking when making jelly. We looked at walmart yesterday but could not find it.

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Oh how I envy you! Here are some recipes, but blackberries will freeze very well.

Blackberry Jam
    2kg blackberries
    1kg sugar

Wash and pick over blackberries, heat, and pass through a sieve. To this puree add sugar and boil for 30 minutes. Pour into jars and seal.

Blackberry Curd
    375g blackberries
    250g cooking apples
    juice of one lemon
    125g butter, cut in small pieces
    375g castor sugar
    4 eggs

Wash blackberries and peel, core, and chop apples. Place in a saucepan and cook gently for about 15 minutes or until really soft. Rub through a sieve and put pulp in a basin or in the top of a double saucepan. Add lemon juice, butter, and sugar. Stand basin over a saucepan of hot water and cook gently until sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Beat eggs well and add to fruit mixture. Continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until it thickens. Pour into hot jam jars and cover as for jam. Will keep, refrigerated, about a month.

Blackberry Jelly
    4 cups blackberry juice (takes about 5 cups blackberries and 3/4 cup water)
    3 cups sugar

To prepare juice. Select about 1/4 under-ripe and 3/4 ripe berries. Sort and wash; remove any stems or caps. Crush the berries; add water; cover; and bring to the boil on high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Extract juice.

To make jelly. Measure juice into a saucepan. Add sugar and stir well. Boil over high heat until jelly mixture sheets from a spoon. Remove from heat; skim off foam quickly. Pour jelly immediately into hot containers and seal.

FREEZING BERRIES:
    Fragile berries and cherries should be washed in ice water to firm them. Drain well on paper towelling. After hulling and stemming they are ready for freezing with or without sugar. Blanch blueberries to soften skins. If whole strawberries are packaged without sugar, prick them with a fork to release the air. Unsweetened raspberries may be frozen in a single layer on trays and packaged after freezing to keep them whole and uncrushed. This way they will weep less if thawed and used whole as garnishes.