blackberries and raspberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by warden1, Jan 8, 2004.

1. warden1

warden1 Well-Known Member

I know this may be a really stupid question, but I'm new at this so could someone tell me are blackberries and black raspberries the same thing? :rolleyes:

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

not quite but they are closely related, being in the same genus. as i understand it, when picked the raspberry slips off the core leaving a hollow while the blackberry comes off core and all. also the raspberry generally prefers somewhat cooler temperatures. and of course they taste different. r u gonna grow em? ive just moved to where they should grow well and am anxious to try em both.

3. warden1

warden1 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on growing blackberries for sure, I love them, we used to have some growing wild on our property. I was looking at a seed catalog and saw black raspberry plants for sale and thats why I was wondering if they were the same I'm having a hard time finding true blackberry plants.

4. Georgiaberry

Georgiaberry Member

www.berryfarm.com

It is time now to place your order - see our site for plants and root cuttings.

We also have u-pick and alot of people visit our farm every year for this, maybe a thousand people a year. If you have ever seen blackberries growing, you know that there are berries at varying stages of ripeness on the vines together. Some varieties are very red at an unripe stage. We always get a few pickers every year who think "the red ones are raspberries."

It is too hot where we live for raspberries - we wish we could grow them! So delicious. . .

5. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

I have blackberries growing wild on my property, I mostly try to get rid of them. They got so thick I could not walk across the place. I have a friend who grows the ones you buy. They are twice as large but lack the flavor of the wild berries. Not to say that some hybrids are not better than his. Also notice that the flavor of mine can vary a good bit from year to year. This was a wet year and they had very little flavor this year. Also I live in north Ga. and I have pretty good luck with my raspberries, so some must do well in the heat. I have no idea what variety of raspberries I have they were a gift from friend who thinned his out. But there must be some out there that do well in the heat.

6. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i will definitely check out the above mentioned site. im broke this year and need to buy as many small plants as i can. meaning i'd rather buy a bunch of root cuttings than a few plants. thanks!