Black Welsh Mountain

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by veme, Sep 5, 2006.

1. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Anybody know who has Black Welsh Mountain sheep in Eastern Ohio or western PA?
    I'm looking for about 6 ewes.
    Thanks.

veme

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I would like to get some of those myself some day. they look like a very good breed to have. good luck

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I have three ewes for sale, but I am in Michigan. Also, there is Lavender Hills Farm in Niles, Michigan.

4. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Maura :angel: , but I won't go much more than 100 miles.

veme

5. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Just saw this posted on a livestock classified site :

DATE: 9/3/06
    TITLE: Black Welsh Mountain Sheep
    NOTES: Black Welsh Mountain Sheep 2rams 6ewes all under 3yrs old 200.00 for whole flock
    NAME: Aaron
    PHONE #: 410-438-3888
    E-MAIL: aaronshe@aol.com

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

7. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    How are they trait wise? Bred for meat, wool, milk? Resistance to diseases parasites? Practicalites of application on a homestead?

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I raised them for a couple of years way back when. However at the time they were heavily inbreed...not a good thing in a sheep. That is why I ended up not breeding them.
    The ewes my son showed in 4-H. He was the only one with what I call normal sized sheep. They did very well and were very calm.
    Their fleece was very easy to blend with soft wool to make some nice roving to spin.
    They were as hardy as my BHC, though I did have them on a worming schedule as I could not rotate my pastures.
    They did well on the forage/hay I provided...did not need extra grain.

However Ogie and Dr Wyman (original person to bring this breed to the USA) managed to get semen shipped in a number of years ago from two of Englands best Black welsh Mountain Rams. So the breed has been improving.
    The fleece is much better so I have been told,not as course. And is wonderful the breed is no longer as inbreed.
    Though I did not eat mine,, I have had BWM meat and it is good.
    They are perfect for the homestead.

If you go for the BWM, if you can, find the lines with the English Rams in it.

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the British line. We had one BWM ram and I couldn't wait to put him in the freezer. Only after I purchased my sheep and had such a horrible experience with that little ram that I found out the rams in this breed have horrible temperments. I decided not to breed purebred registerable sheep, and instead crossed the ewes with a nice Corriedale. The resulting lambs are beautiful, the fleece is a dense black, but fine.

On the plus side, they are very healthy and, according to my reading, never get hoof rot, a plus where I live. They are thrifty and wonderful mothers.