Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I walked across the yard to get to the mailbox, I had to tread steadily...I was afraid I'd slip on the walnut hulls. It got me to thinking--they've gone from the outer green hull to a black hull that has the walnut shell on the inside. So, Once I gather up the 10 bushels of walnuts from the front yard and squish them out of the outer shell, what do I do with them to store them?

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Hey Ruby! It's nice to see you back on here! Wear gloves and old clothes! That stain does NOT come out! Some people put then in the drive and run over them with the cars for awhile. Once they turn black the hulls come off pretty easy. The best way to keep hulled, unshelled nuts is in a cool dry place. Once shelled I keep them in the freezer as they can go rancid easily.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, I hate to tell you what happens here...

Last weekend we spent a couple hours picking up 8 or 9 bushels of walnuts from the pasture... after I saw one of the horses crash land on her rump... Wishing to avoid the need to put down a horse because we were negligent, I rounded up the family and a spare or two and we put them all in boxes and crates and baskets. Then, like every other year, we move them up on the deck... where little armies of squirrels come and make away with them. Honestly, there's more than enough for them and us too, as none of us enjoy the picking out process enough to do that many bushels. And the nuts this year were actually quite small, though there were lots of them. We did keep the larger English walnuts separate and WILL shell those out (they are safely stored under cover). Last year, late in January, I watched a fat little squirrel make off with the last of them...

Also, DS and BIL enjoyed a rousing round of horsepasture golf, using walnuts as balls and, er... horsepoo plops as holes... As you can see, we're easily amused.

dawn

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
The one year where I had a good quantity, after I hulled them, I put them on home made drying racks for a couple of weeks. I stored them in the basement since the temp there was fairly steady (wood stove was being used). The only tree producing where I am now isn't supplying much yet, so I let the squirrels have them. It's a fairly young tree.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts