Black walnuts for feed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bethlaf, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

well, hubby was out walking around yesterday , and threw some black walnutsinto the pigs, the guys went ga ga and ate them all , we had a bsket of nuts we never got around to shelling , so today we went and tosse it to them , man was that funny, sounded like a bunch of kids with mouths full of jaw breakers, crunch crunch crunch !! they loved them , now i have 4 piggys with dyed noses , but they are happy !!, nice to know that i should save the fall crop for the pigs too ....

just thought i would share
    Beth

2. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We didn't have many black walnuts this year but I do have a bag of hickory nuts from last year hanging around.. I'm going to see what they do! LOL

Thanks for the hint! :p

3. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

well we have a cow that eats the hedge apples :eek: thats funny to see cause its as big as her mouth, we always think she has them stuck. i know black walnuts are suppposed to be harmful to horses. good to know that a pig can eat them

4. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Our pot belly loves the pecans. So do the dogs! And the kids. It is a real site to see all 6 dogs , the pig, and 8 of the kids scouring the yard for the nuts, and shareing. DH and I will watch through the window snikering to ourselves.
    Mrs C

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i fed them some of our hickory nuts we were to lazy to crack em any way
    they loved them

6. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

My 2 pigs love the little hard shelled pecans as well. However, the smart dog saw that the pigs were eating them and he decided to munch down on them as well. Didn't take long for the other dogs to follow. I'm worried about my dogs getting a tear in their intestines so I'm running around trying to pick up hundreds of pecans. I still miss though and I'll hear one of the dogs crunching away. Wonder if it really is bad for them?

Does anyone know if it's OK for dogs to eat pecan shells?