Black Walnut Trees??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Sep 17, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I have several Black Walnut trees on my property.It seems to me the less other trees around them the more Walnuts they produce.

Do I want to cut back the other trees around these Walnuts?

big rockpile

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Sure cant hurt .
    Keep in mind black walnuts produce a natural herbicide you'll seldom find broad leafed weeds under their canopy

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

They produce the chemical Juglone that kills off other plants, including trees. There are someplants that seem to be immune to it. As the other trees and plants die off, there is more water and nutrients available to the Black Walnuts, which translates to more walnuts. Chemical warfare on a plant scale. Everything on earth is competing with everything else on earth for finite resources. The last individual of the last species is the winner. Nature is so benevolent.

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Then again some species are symbiotic.

5. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Then again some species are symbiotic.

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

That helps them to compete by making it unnecessary to worry about their food source or protection. Problem with that evolutionary detail is that they also forfeit their existance to another species and that co-dependency actually limits their longterm survival. They become too specialized and succumb easier to rapid shifts in the environment because they can't adapt fast enough. Just guessing.

7. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

OK - real serious question here. I know black walnuts will do OK in wet soils, but will they kill or discourage the growth of willows?

Will they do OK side by side with English (carpathian) walnuts?

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i doubt there is much that will discourage willows in an area where they are established. i have 1 year old logs sprouting shoots. if you put a stick in wet soil you will have a willow tree. i really don't know about the juglone with willows. i just have a feeling the willows will survive.

9. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

We grow black walnuts like weeds here..The darn squirrels plant them everywhere you don't want them flowerbeds ,pots,etc...They seem to bear heavily about every other year.Don't plant them where you do alot of walking its like trying to walk on rollerskates.My neighbor broke her leg slipping on them.I don't seem to notice that weeds won't grow under them (we also have a bumper crop of those this year)The black berries that grow under them do well as do the muscadines,honeysuckle,poke weed,privit hedge...Other trees don't grow to close though..