Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I not plant near black walnut trees & why? :nono: How far away can I safely plant blueberry bushes (next year). ?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Rockin'B, nice that you found Karen Delahaut's web entry on that. She's our annual speaker at the spring community garden meeting. She's also involved in growing lots of neat garlic as both UW and personal projects.

Here's another site with good juglone info:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Martin

·
Registered
315 Posts
I planted corn and squash at the end of the garden, near the black walnut tree. They are both on the list as being juglone tolerant. Dumb luck.

Thanks for the link, Rockin'B. I'm printing it off for next year, in case my luck doesn't hold out.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Paquebot said:
Rockin'B, nice that you found Karen Delahaut's web entry on that. She's our annual speaker at the spring community garden meeting. She's also involved in growing lots of neat garlic as both UW and personal projects.

Here's another site with good juglone info:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Martin
I like that website that her stuff is on. It's loaded with good info and has been very informative.

Thanks for that additional link!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
junie said:
I planted corn and squash at the end of the garden, near the black walnut tree. They are both on the list as being juglone tolerant. Dumb luck.

Thanks for the link, Rockin'B. I'm printing it off for next year, in case my luck doesn't hold out.
You are welcome. I've had to refer to it many times. I have a ton of black walnuts on my place and had no idea about juglone before I killed half my garden last year.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I just planted 2 black walnuts down front. Going to plant 2 english walnuts next year and a chestnut tree next to them. They are about 30' apart. Hope that's far enough.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rockin'B said:
You are welcome. I've had to refer to it many times. I have a ton of black walnuts on my place and had no idea about juglone before I killed half my garden last year.
We've got tons of black walnuts here, too. I even have to weed them out of my gardens. I planted my first herb bed under a walnut tree. Needless to say, everything died (I didn't know any better back then).

I like to keep as many of the older walnuts, though. We like the nuts and use them year 'round (I store them in the freezer). I wasn't sure that the tree at the end of the garden was close enough to make any difference, but it's still good to have that list so I don't take any chances. Too much work goes into a garden to have a tree kill or stunt anything. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
315 Posts
QuiltingLady2 said:
I just planted 2 black walnuts down front. Going to plant 2 english walnuts next year and a chestnut tree next to them. They are about 30' apart. Hope that's far enough.
I have Chinese chestnuts growing right next to black walnuts. Doesn't seem to bother them. They produce copious amounts of chestnuts.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your responses.I feel bad to have to cut these pretty young trees down. :Bawling: I wanted to transplant them elsewhere,but I'm afraid that on the perimeter of the horsepasture may invite horses to chew the trunks. no good either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts