Black Southdown Ram Lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Lisa in WA, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a black ram lamb from a white Southdown ewe crossed with a black Babydoll ram that we will be selling. What kind of price should we put on him?

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Cute I've never seen a black southdown. I thought baby doll sheep was a nickname for southdowns.

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

What is your evaluation of his comformation? What is his rate of gain? What are his dam's production records? His sire's? Is he registered? Is he codon tested? Do you test for or monitor for various diseases? Will he be guaranteed a breeder?

Otherwise, he is worth whatever slaughter ram lambs are going for in your area - plus a little more for the trouble of your time in advertizing, showing him, etc.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Lisa,
    Most breeders don't keep track of that in miniature breeds.

Other Lisa... If he is nice, his size is small and he is registered, the normal price for a Black Babydoll southdown ram lamb is $350.00.
    (I used to have them too. :rolleyes: )

If he goes over sized... will just depend on your market. Might get as much as $150.00 for him if he is gentle.
    Or you can wither him and tame him down, halter train him, & might get a little more for that.

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I'm kind of curious how a minisheep managed to service a full sized momma....

I didn't think they'd ummmm ... reach!

<insert embarassed and puzzled emoticon here>

6. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

The babydoll registry has a closed stud-book. If this lamb is out of a southdown ewe, (not a papered babydoll southdown ewe), he is a grade ram and should be priced accordingly. I don't know anything about regular southdowns, can he be papered through the southdown registry?
    Also, height for the dolls cannot exceed 24" at the wither on a mature sheep. A southdown X babydoll southdown cross will more than likely exceed that.
    I used to raise babydolls. They are a "hot" novelty breed right now. I see people at the swaps trying to sell enormous sheep for $400 as "Babydolls, but I lost the papers on 'em."....

Sprout, the babydoll is the original southdown, before they were bred up in size for show/meat. A fellow by the name of Robert Mock found and preserved a few flocks of the originals, papered them, and closed the stud book right away. If the dame and sire aren't papered with his registry, they can't be papered with the original babydoll registry.
    There is a new babydoll registry that sprung up a few years ago, Nassbar or something like that. They have an open stud book and are accepting the dolls up to 26" at the wither. Might want to look into them to get this guy papered if he matures into a well-conformed breeding quality ram.

7. Lisa in WA

Our registered Southdown ewes are pretty small...I would say fairly close to that 24" measurement. I talked to the lady whose son owned the black Babydoll that bred our SD ewes and she said if the ram stays within the size requirements that he could be registered. Also her son's black ram died yesterday after finding a patch of water hemlock. This teenage boy worked to buy this $500.00 ram and they drove several hundred miles to get him. He is devastated. He is such a nice kid and sheep are definitely his thing. I think we are going to trade his help putting up hay for the ram lamb.

8. ShortSheep

So the dame is a registered babydoll, or is she a southdown?
    Very sorry to hear about the ram. Very sad. :(
    Registered black babydolls rams go for $350 here in the Midwest, $400 if proven.

9. Lisa in WA

The dam is a registered Southdown (a very small one) and the sire is a registered Babydoll.

10. ShortSheep

Ah, okay, I understand. This would make the ram lamb a grade, unless he can somehow be registered with the southdown registry. So a grade price would be reasonable to ask for him.
    Around here, I'd probably price him at $100-$150 if he matures into a nice, breeding quality animal (good conformation, bite, testes, etc.)
    It is nice of you to let the young man work in trade for the ram lamb. Losing an beloved animal is hard, expecially so with a young person.

11. Lisa in WA

I just took a couple of pictures of him. If we didn't find a good home for him we'd just wether him and keep him as a pet/lawnmower. He's a cute little guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Ah Lisa,, he's cute. I would just wither him and make him a pet. :rock: