Black snake question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 9, 2004.

1. I know black snakes are good guys(somewhat),I have not seem a copperhead or any mice this year but the blk snake eat my chicks and chicken eggs but what really upsets me is they eat my pigeon's eggs! I am tired of taking these fellows for a long ride.Is there something like D.E or a herb or the likes around my pigeons? State of Misery(Mo.)

2. Jeff Hathaway

Jeff Hathaway Active Member

Some on this forum have recommended a product called 'Snake Away' (I think). If you do a search you'll probably find a few threads about it. I have no personal experience with it, but I recall that if you were going to use it a lot, you'd better have lots of money to spend.

I'd recommend fencing your birds' enclosures with 1/4" hardware cloth so that the snakes can't get in. Then you don't have to worry about them eating birds or eggs! It will also force them to eat more rats and mice around your place :)

If you take them for a ride, don't take them too far. Studies on other species have shown that if they can't find their way back to their hibernation site (which they return to year after year), they will die when winter comes. Generally it would be best to move them less than 500 yards.

Jeff Hathaway
    Sciensational Sssnakes!!

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Won't mothballs keep snakes away?

4. Golfballs will keep them away for good. Just place one in each nest and replace when one dissappears.

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

What you need is a natural cure; Kingsnakes. As around or otherwise find some good sized Kingsnakes and turn lose around your homestead. Blacksnakes eat vermin; that's good, but when there are too many they will begin feeding on your small livestock or eggs. The Kingsnake eats these fellows for a living; and they're good at it.

Barring that, a large rock to the back of the head ends their desire to eat eggs or chicks.

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I put moth balls all around inside the edge of my bunny barn. It appears to keep the snakes out....moth balls are supposed to have the same ingredient as some of the snake away stuff does...

I just wish I had enough moth balls to encircle this whole acreage! There is one black snake that is driving me crazy and scares me to death!

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We've found that snakes can, believe it or not, actually regurgitate ceramic eggs. I suspect they'd do the same with golf balls.
    And, I have cages made with the small-weave-- the snakes still get in, presumably through the door. I haven't figured out a way to make it close tightly enough that a snake can't just push through.
    The only way I've been able to keep snakes away from eggs and chicks is with a hoe.
    mary

8. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

for your info, kingsnakes also eat rattlers

9. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in sulphur, the kind you get at the feed store. We had 2 big ole chicken snakes or whatever snakes getting into nests. We sprinkled a good layer around the perimeter and have NOT seen any more.
    Before the sulfur we killed 2 snakes in 1 week. Its supposed to burn their bellies if they try to cross it but also they don't like the smell.

It works great for us.Re-apply after a rain.

10. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

The sulfur idea sounds great D in W. Seems like it would be fairly inexpensive too. I have a question for all of you though... I had heard that a snake won't cross over a hemp rope. Has anyone ever heard that before? Or better yet, tried it?

Leanna

11. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

i've always heard they wouldn't cross a rope to, but never tried it. let us know if it works.

12. OD

OD Well-Known Member

There is one in my chicken house that I've had a truce with all summer. He eats the mice & I don't kill him. Lately, though, he must have run out of mice, because he has started eating eggs. And even worse, he lies out in plain sight & growls (I had no idea that snakes could growl!!!), when I go in to feed the chickens. He's got to go!!! I'll let you know if moth balls work.