Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone hunt with black powder rifles? What brand and caliber do you recommend?? This will be primarily for deer hunting.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a Traditions .50 cal caplock, with a 1 in 48" twist. Does OK with balls and some lead conicals (Especially buffalo balletts) but does not like Sabot rounds. If you are looking at buying a gun, I would suggest an inline (if your laws allow it) with a 1 in 28" or faster barrel that would shoot sabot rounds better and would allow scope mounting. Might want to check pawn shops. I missed a great deal (.50 inline with a 4x scope for $149.99) couple of weeks ago because I was too slow making my mind up.

galump

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
CGUARDSMAN said:
Does anyone hunt with black powder rifles? What brand and caliber do you recommend?? This will be primarily for deer hunting.
Do you want modern or traditional?
I prefer a sidelock .45, make my own bullets, don't want to be obligated to buy them high price sabots. I have a .50 but molded bullets for it run a tad on the heavy side. Round ball in my .45 is about right fer barking squirrels and maxi-ball is good deer medicine..YMV.... :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
i think it depends on whats legal for the state in which you live... last time i hunted here in pa (about ten years ago) only flintlocks w patched round balls and open sights were "legal" for muzzleloader season tho any black powder could be used during our rifle season

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I've always went with CVA.I feel anymore 50Cal. is best because you can find Bullets and everything for that caliber everywhere.

Only thing is CVA doesn't make Sidelocks anymore,if you was going that way :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i bought a Knight .50 today here are the specs on it:
Unique detachable action, which allows disassembly without tools for easy cleaning
Loading couldn't be easier... simple lever action opens / closes the chamber for a Full Plastic Jacket 209 shotgun primer for 100% weatherproof ignition
Top of the line 27" stainless steel Green Mountain barrel. Precise to within 1/10,000 of an inch, with 1 in 28" twist rifling. Drilled and tapped for easy scope mounting
Rugged synthetic checkered stock, with rubber recoil pad
Adjustable metallic fiber optic sights for bright targeting even in low light
Measures 43 1/4"l. Weighs approx. 8 lbs.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Well you can't go wrong with a Knight :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
big rockpile said:
Well you can't go wrong with a Knight :shrug:

big rockpile
I hope not. I have always heard good things about them. i looked a CVA too but something about the features on this one won me over.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ed Norman said:
So you probably wouldn't like my favorite, Lyman Great Plains 54 flinchlock. 1-66" twist, shoots a round ball great.
Ah everyone knows Round Ball is just good for Target shooting,not worth a darn for killing anything :p

big rockpile

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Now I haven't hunted for a few years, but when I did it was with a Thompson Center 54 cal flintlock with a 1 in 66 twist. I think it was called the Pennsylvania Hunter. Great for round balls which is what we have to use in PA during muzzleloading season..

I still shoot the rifle and it still is accurate and a blast to shoot..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thompson Center or Thompson Center or Thompson Center. Everything else is almost as good when considering price, reliability, and warranty. However, having said that the Knights are pretty good too.

Just choose a TC that suits your style and state regs as they vary a lot from state to state.

TnTnTn

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TnTnTn said:
Thompson Center or Thompson Center or Thompson Center. Everything else is almost as good when considering price, reliability, and warranty. However, having said that the Knights are pretty good too.

Just choose a TC that suits your style and state regs as they vary a lot from state to state.

TnTnTn
i would have liked to have the pro hunter but sheesh they are expensive!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
you will like the green mtn barrel.i got a 45 cal with a 26 inch green mtn barrel.it shoots great....i shoot a 200 grain all lead.it is sjut my opinion but the plain lead out performes other bullets.it kills better...i also know several people who have stopped shooting the sabots and other type bullets and have gone back to lead.it just plain kills better.try some you wont be sorry.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
elkhound said:
you will like the green mtn barrel.i got a 45 cal with a 26 inch green mtn barrel.it shoots great....i shoot a 200 grain all lead.it is sjut my opinion but the plain lead out performes other bullets.it kills better...i also know several people who have stopped shooting the sabots and other type bullets and have gone back to lead.it just plain kills better.try some you wont be sorry.
Got to agree on Pure Lead.I've been using 385gr. Great Plains Bullets.Both these critters went right down.If a critter runs it leave one heck of a Blood Trail.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
nice critters rockpile.alot fo the stuff now a days is jsut marketing strategy to sale goods.i also use only 90 grains of powder.it slings that 45cal 200 grain bullet right along.it will do serious damage to the chest cavitiy of a animal.my 2 biggest deer were killed with a muzzleloader.what i want is a nice muzzleloader shotgun like you have.that would be a blast to hunt with...you are the only fellow i know of that hunts with a shotgun like that.i loved the turkey pic's from this past spring.maybe a shotgun is in my future....lol.

also if you get a mold you can just pour you own bullets.just go down to the tire palce and get a bucket of their used weights and melt and pour you some.i need a mold for my 45 cal.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Curious, what does a 10 ga. double go for now? Just wondering, in case I find some money somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
big rockpile said:
Ah everyone knows Round Ball is just good for Target shooting,not worth a darn for killing anything :p

big rockpile
I've killed a lot of deer with a .50 roundball at up to 100 yards and a few elk with my .54 flintlock. If you know your rifle and how it shoots I wouldn't be against shooting a deer at 125 yards. I have a friend who shot an African lion with a 62 caliber and it took are of it real quick.

Bobg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts