black oil sunflowers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I transplanted some of the sunflower seeds from the bird food (remember the previous post where I did not know what sort of plant was growing under the bird feeder). Well the sunflowers are growing big, but I was wondering if they will be perenial (sp). And when can I expect to see a flower, they are about 3 feet high now.

I planted them along side the garage, the space is only about 2 1/2 feet wide, and unused space, only thing is it only gets the sun for about 5 hours a day, the late afternoon setting sun.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Your post doesn't say what zone you're in, but sunflowers aren't perrenial in northern temperate climates. They do, however, reseed themselves ( and with the help of birds :) ) The blackoil sunflowers get huge....I think it's 8-12 feet high. You probably won't see any flowers till then

3. I live in Chicago, IL. don't know what zone that is.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

You are in zone 5. My self sown sunflowers from under the bird feeders will bloom about now, no matter how high they are. I have a few that just started blooming so maybe yours will bloom soon. It really depends upon when they sprouted.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The giant Russian sunflowers get as tall as 12 feet and have a single head that is sometimes over 14 inches in diameter. BUT the black oil sunflowers get about 4 feet tall. They should bloom any time now.