Black lamb nipples

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by moonkitten, Mar 18, 2017.

1. moonkitten

moonkitten Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I have 2 bottle lambs this year and I bought the black gum rubber lamb nipples. The box says: fits neck of soft drink bottle... Well, not the soft drinks sold in my grocery store :( At least, not the bottles I tried. Anyone use these that can tell me *which* soft drink bottles they fit on? I don't actually drink pop, so buying more bottles is just a waste unless I get the right brand/size.

thanks,

Kat

2. trainv

trainv Well-Known Member

picture of what you have? I use just a regular 16 0z pop or a large one when lambs get bigger. I also have a couple different nipples over the yrs but one I like.

3. Rectifier

Rectifier Well-Known Member

You really have to stretch those black rubber ones. All pop bottles have the same thread, assuming they are "regular" pop like Coke or Pepsi and not some odd specialty brand.

In my opinion there is only one lamb nipple worth buying and it's the Pritchard Teat. They have an air valve and a threaded base that screws right onto the pop bottle. It's small and fits well in a young lamb's mouth but even older lambs can drain their ration in 30 seconds when they drink with vigour.

Double C Acres and nehimama like this.
  4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Those are the ones I like best also

nehimama likes this.
  5. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

We always put them over glass bottles, not plastic soda bottles.

If you know a beer drinker buy them a six pack and ask them to keep the bottles for you.

moonkitten and nehimama like this.
  6. moonkitten

I bought the 750 mL coke bottles and tried to stretch the nipple over the top. Got it almost and the bottle slipped and MR went ALL OVER the wall. Sigh. I'm going to try a beer bottle this afternoon. Maybe the glass will be easier. Can I put a touch of fish oil or cod liver oil or something to get it on easier without completely turning the lambs off the bottle?

I'll order some of the Pritchard but they won't get here for 4-5 days. Thanks for the suggestions!

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

All I use are the black nipples these days Use a beer bottle just wet it with water and it will stretch on. You may have to slice open the end a bit more too. Just a bit don't make it too fast!

moonkitten likes this.
  8. moonkitten

Yes! The beer bottle worked great. Thanks everyone :)

9. Rectifier

Haha, I never tried putting one of those black teats on a beer bottle. Who would have imagined they are made for glass bottles!
    I still have a few in the bottom of the bin. If I ever have to use one of those things in an emergency I'll have to try it on a beer bottle.

10. trainv

trainv Well-Known Member

these are the ones I like best, I push them over the neck of a regular pop bottle. They are hard to find sometimes so when I find then I buy one or two. This one I found at Pipestone Vet Co 4330_l.jpg

11. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Man that would be a great name for a bar

12. MDKatie

MDKatie Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the black nipples. They're all I use now. I tried the Pritchard ones for the bitty babies, and they are ok for them, but once the lambs get bigger I find they're too little and flimsy. The black ones really last for a long time. When they're new, they're harder to get on soda bottles, but just run the end under hot water for a little bit and it's easier to stretch them over the bottle mouth.

13. Rectifier

Once my lambs get bigger they go on the pail with its big red Heiniger nipples. Well actually, as soon as they learn to drink from the pail reliably, which only takes a few days. I put them in with the pen with the pail and supplement feed them from a Pritchard until they start filling up on their own.

I highly recommend a free feed teat pail. What a time saver. I've even used it with a single bottle lamb and it still was better than mixing up individual bottles. I'm raising 11 of the cursed critters this year and I would have given up long ago without the pails - I can fix the day's milk in about 15 minutes and just set it out. I have a pair of these pails, each with 5 teats. They will each hold the amount of milk replacer created by mixing 12L of water with powder, but I run them half full and wash and fill them every morning so the milk won't go stale.

[​IMG]

trainv likes this.
  14. trainv

trainv Well-Known Member

I also have a bucket like that works great when more than 1 cursed critters !!!! My problem is the barn cats eat the nipples off so I can't leave the bucket out. do you have the problem or any ideas to prevent it? Thanks

15. Rectifier

I've heard such issues from other producers but my cats are either too stupid to figure it out or my brand of milk replacer, "Wet Nurse", is not that palatable to cats.

They are fairly stupid cats, it's true.

There is another style of pail at my supplier where the milk must be drawn up little siphon tubes by the lambs sucking. There's more to clean and it's supposed to be a little harder to train the lambs, but if the cats chew off a nipple it will not result in losing your entire pail on the ground. As I've not had the cat problem I like these pails better.

16. moonkitten

This is my first time with bottle babies and when I started, I read all I could find about bottle raising lambs. The most common comment was DON'T OVERFEED. So when using the free feed bucket, babies overfeeding themselves is not a problem? The little ewe lamb usually gets bored and wanders off before her bottle is completely drained, but the ram lamb would probably drink a lake dry (if he could find a lake of milk). I'd be worried that he'd explode if he had a bucket full available :)

17. Rectifier

The free feed pail is supplied with COLD milk. It's supposed to be 4 degrees C - actively chilled milk. This time of year I put it out at 10-20 degrees so it won't freeze before it's consumed, but when it gets warmer, I float an ice pack in it.

The chilled milk is quite unpalatable to the lambs, so they only drink what they need. It works well and my pail if put out cold will last all day and into the evening, supplying the 1L/lamb that is recommended. However, baby lambs must be fed warm milk or they won't take to the bottle. Once they take to the bottle then they can drink cold milk from the pail.

I would not really recommend it to the first timer, you will learn a lot more and pay far more attention feeding lambs by hand. Once you've been doing it for a few years you know what over/underfeeding looks like and can supplement hollow lambs with a bottle or increase/decrease your daily ration, milk temperature etc. to get the consumption you want.

moonkitten likes this.
  18. moonkitten

Ah, I see. I will keep on hand feeding then, especially as I have one fussy lamb. Thanks for the info!