Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is about 8-9 years old (buyer can mouth and preg. check her). Apparently started life in a dairy. I bought her as a brood cow and she has given me three nice calves. Current heifer was born in November and is semi-weaned. My WAG on heifer's weight is 450-500 pounds. Cow is bred to a same Angus so should calve again in November.

I cannot say she is 100% Jersey.

Very friendly, particularly if you have something she wants. I'm sure she could be milked if held in a stantion. Nice firm bag with finger size tits. Well fleshed out and slick even on poor pasture. Lives to eat.

Last year's heifer weighed 745 pounds at one year of age (same bull on past, current and future calf).

Selling as I need to reduce size of herd to match dry pasture conditions.

$1000 for both.

Located in West-central, TN about 14 miles north of I-40 and eight miles east of KY Lake.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the time I take off the woods, dedicated hay fields, rented out fields for row crops, I'm down to about 20 acres. In the past that has been more than enough for 12 or so cow/calf pairs, a bull and some promising heifers. With the drought though...

Right now I have eight cow/calf pairs, bull and two-year old heifer being bred this year. Bull goes next week, likely with two more cow/calf pairs. Big Angus cows.

Part of problem is first hay cutting was only 75% of last year and it doesn't look like there will be a second cutting (although I might get a couple of bales off one field).

Fortunately the girls can graze on corn stubble over winter, reducing the need for hay somewhat.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
I wish I had my land already because I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. unfortunately, that's still a couple of years out :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts