Black Hawaiians...........................

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by HunterTed, May 2, 2005.

1. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Man am I excited. I went and bought 3 Black Hawaiian ewes today. Two of them are three year old and one is 5 months old. My uncle bought some too and he got a nice young ram as well. Both of the older ones are already bred. So when it comes time to breed them I am just going to use his ram. They make a nice addition to my Barbados and my Boer goats. I've already got one of the older ewes to eat out of my hand and let me pet her while she is eating. I cannot wait till they have babies. I am like a 5 year old waiting on Christmas.

2. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

I had never heard of these until you posted on them. I couldn't find them under Okstate.edu so I goggled them. Wow! Nice looking sheep, where did you find these? Beautiful animals, I would love to get my hands on a few of these. Lucky you! How are they doing? What are their temperments?

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I also am intrigued!! Are they a hair sheep? How big do they get? Are you going to be selling any? Where did you get yours? What do they cost? I couldn't find much information on them, only pictures.

4. quailkeeper

Hmm found out some about them so I won't be interested. They are beautiful though. Apparently they are some kind of hybrid which is why we are having problems finding info on them. They are also pretty small ewes 80-90 lbs rams 150-160 lbs.

5. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Thanks, they seem to be settling in nicely. I put them in my weaning pasture. I spend most of my time there. All my older animals are very gentle and handle real well. I have left one gentle ewe and my pet goat in there to help settle them down. I also have a couple of ewe lambs that I am keeping that have gentled down and they are in there as well. All three of the Black Hawaiians have begun following me around the pasture just like the rest of the sheep do. Like I stated in my origional post, one of the older ewes is already eating feed out of my hand and will let me pet her. The ewe lamb that is on her side will sniff my hand but will back off when I try to pet her.

quailkeeper, I would be interested in finding out what you did not like about the Black Hawaiians. I noticed that you mentioned the weight of the sheep, is that what you do not like about them? I am not raising them for meat production, I raise them for a hobby and to supply hunting ranches and breeders with quality stock. I never intended to make one penny when I started raising the Black Hawaiians or Barbados, it just happened that I have found them to be quite profitable. So far (knock on wood) I have not had any trouble at all selling any of them for top dollar. I have people waiting for lambs that are not even born yet. I have gotten to be friends with some other people that raise Barbados and Black Hawaiians, and this fall we are going to pool all of our young rams together and haul my 28 ft gooseneck trailer full of them to south Texas to a hunting ranch auction. I am really psyched up for this. Don't know how it will turn out financially but I can guarentee that we will have a good time, and to me that is what it is all about.

6. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

OK folks you can just disregard that statement. Just got back from the barn, and the older ewe let me pet her WITHOUT feed. She just came right up to me and stood there while I rubbed her head and neck. While I was doing this her ewe lamb decided that she wanted some attention as well. The other older ewe will sniff my hand but is not up for petting just yet. Keep in mind that I got these ewes off a ranch yesterday. They were out running on pasture, and not used to being handled. Now please do not take that statement as me bragging on myself, I am just really excited about my new additions. I spend all my free time (except during hunting season) messing with my sheep and goats and I take a lot of pride in them. I guess that is why I am able to sell them at a premium. All of my stuff is handled on a daily basis and so far my buyers really like the fact that all my animals are extremely gentle and handle easily with very little stress.

7. quailkeeper

I have two of the barbados left. I got out of them because of their size. There just isn't much there. Most adult barbados sell for $40-$75 (except rams in Texas) and weanlings are $20-25. The katahdins sell for $100 at two months old. Plus the black hawaiian is just a cross bred. What I found said that they were actually a Katahdin/Dorper cross. Which is ironic because I thought the dorper would make them larger. I also found that some of the black hawaiians have a wolly outer coat that is a reddish color. I try to avoid wool except in the two Shetlands I am buying specifically for wool. They are nice looking and stocky, I kind of thought they would be heavier from the pics I found. To sell your rams down at Texas they should be a minimum of a year old. The best selling ones are 2 yrs and up.

8. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I see. Well I guess if we all raised the same kind of sheep then it would be boring on all of us. Sorry that your animals weren't bringing as much as you'd like. I have been getting 100 bucks for adult Barbado ewes and ewes with twins at their side I am getting 150 bucks. Like I said before I have had zero problem selling them. I sell all the babies that I don't want to raise for rams at 4-5 months for 40-50 bucks. I have sold some yearling rams and they brought between 100 and 125 bucks, but they were to breeders. I have looked at Katahdins and they perked my intrest, but I really don't see them as animals that are desired by hunting ranches. Good luck with your Katahdins.

9. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

HunterTed,

I have katahdin, just started out. I have one ewe and her lamb that she had in March. We've really enjoyed them, and our ewe is almost 2 and weighs about 130+. We really enjoy them and we're in the works in getting a small flock going here soon. We're waiting to get our ram lamb now to breed to those 2. We're mainly interested in them for our own personal meat consumption, and would like to in the future offer them to others. I was reading about quailkeepers concerns with the Hawaiians. Katahdin due have alot of good market weight to them, and have a very full flavor as lamb and mutton. Our lamb is almost 2 months old and weight 54lbs, they mature well and offers quicker market gross. Very highly prized as lamb, since they due mature faster and have better flavor then the mutton alot of people are commonly used to; but the lamb is extremely tender and flavorable. They do bring in more money too in just regular stock prices. When I got the ewe I was in a battle with her original owner who wanted to buy her back, in lamb of course. The lady I got her from let me have her for $50. They guy pestered me to death about it, asking me how much she offered her to me for, and if I knew I could get $125 for the ewe, and 75-$125 depending on the lamb and sex. I could of made an easy $300, if I sold her after I got her, but that's not why I did it. We have a genuine interest in the breed, and intend of prusuing them well into the future.
    I really enjoyed the look of the Black Hawaiian, and would love to know more about them. I aslo did a search on them unfotunately not too much out there, found alot of hunting sites. Which I would also like to learn more about what you do with them for the hunting ranches. Sounds very interesting. Glad they are coming around to you, hope it continues. Love to learn more, thanks for talking with us about them. Where are you located btw? I'm in VA.
    -Kristen

10. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

It wasn't too long ago that a Katahdin was "just" a cross breed, as was the Dorper, the Polypay, the Targhee and many more modern breeds of sheep that people now brag about owning. You won't find me discounting anything that has that hybred vigor! It may become THE next breed to own. (I'd love for the Walla breed to take off! :haha: ) Congratulations on your beautiful sheep and the market you have found for them.

11. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Basically it all boils down to this........Big horns= Big money. Don't know about your part of the country, but here in Texas hunting ranches are BIG business. Being a huge hunter myself I see the demand for big rams growing all the time. And I do not forsee it stopping any time soon. Never got in the sheep business for the money, I got in it for a hobby, but I am doing pretty well with my little enterprise. Shure if I was going to raise sheep for meat I would have gone with Katahdns or Dorpers, but right now I only have enough land to concentrate on one thing at a time.

12. quailkeeper

Oh yeah there is definitely money in horns. I've seen full sized, mature Barbado rams sell for $350 in Texas. But I didn't have the space to keep rams for three years. I was just interested in the Black Hawaiians for myself until I saw that they were smaller. And beware!! Mine started out as a hobby and now . . . . . :haha: I have ten, I'm buying two Shetlands in two weeks and five more Katahdin ewes in about a month.

13. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I saw two Barbado rams sell for 600 bucks each last fall. Wish they had been mine.

14. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know the hobby thing. My 3 have grown into 22 adults. We had 16 ewes lamb this year,so far, and have 33 of their lambs running around. It will get kinda quiet around here after I sell the lambs off. I also intend to sell some ewes and my existing rams off, too. However, I also intend to keep some ewe lambs and am buying another ram. I always say I'm going to downsize but it never seems to happen!