Black Friday

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Triffin, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

OK .. I just don't get this one ..

What could possibly compel a rational person
    to come to the conclusion that getting
    up at 4:00 AM following Thanksgiving in order
    to be at the Mall by 5:00 AM is a desirable and
    necessary thing to do ?????

Not enough shopping days to Chistmas ??
    Afraid they're going to miss buying some item ??
    Entertainment value ??

Triff :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Doesn't sound very rational to me. Maybe this person needs her head examined? LOL

3. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

That's not even the craziest-here in the Dallas area some stores opened yesterday eve!! (T'sgiving) I guess I'm really getting old b/c some of this crap really bothers me!

I think its just something that sets us (homesteaders) apart from the suburbanites.

Patty

4. Triffin

Maybe this person needs her head examined?

Person ?? Try 10s of thousands of people doing this today !!
    CNBC has been covering the King of Prussia Mall outside
    of Philadelphia this morning .. Opened their doors at 5:00 AM
    and the place was mobbed with folks .....

Triff ..

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

my son went this morning...

his life is very regimented by necessity for now and I see him going with his friend as a bit of stress relief. He probobly wont buy anything but he'll hang with a guy friend, go out to breakfast and probobly lunch before he heads back home to the routine of being a husband, father, student, employee.

When I had 4 teens at home and 5 children under age 5, I went with my sis for the same reason leaving the children with my husband.... but, she went to shop and had less fun than I.

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I did not go out this morning. Wild horses couldn't have drug me out into that mess. I have gone once or twice though and I hate shopping in a crowd.

7. vonettrich

vonettrich Well-Known Member

I don't care how good the sales are, you couldn't PAY me to join that mob outside Wal-Mart in the middle of the night, waiting for the doors to open so they can rush in and buy cheap junk. No way.

8. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a very good friend that just LOVES going out to shop. But they do have a very big income and can afford to do this. Their whole family gets togeather, the ladies go shopping and eat bruch while the men watch the kids. Then, that evening, all the guys get to go eat out and do "manly-man" things. They are a great bunch of people, but I do not understand the whole thought process. But then again, my friend cannot understand why I miss my chickens or why I want to garden. But thank God we can still be friends! LOL

Time for true confessions here.... I saw that Wal-Mart was selling DVDs for $1.88 and $3.00 today and I was tempted. But the sale was only from 5:00 AM until 11:00 and I am only just now up and around. (it is 11:10 AM here) The other reason is that I know that they will not let me shop with a side-arm or a cattle prod, so I ain't a goin! So there! *grin*

God bless you and yours
    Debbie

9. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I'd rather clean a dozen toilets than go shopping that early pushed around by a bunch of crazed maniacs. Hubby said the news this morning showed crowds waiting to get in the malls around Denver. I am wondering if there are really good deals or just what is the draw?

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

WIHH, You and CF are onto something there, I think! It is a form of the hunter-gather, preparing for winter-type mindset.

I have gone to the early sales the last few years, but not at the moment of opening (went after work). I found mostly people having fun, or maybe smiling and visiting with the folks around me made it seem that way. Most of the items I was shopping for were still in stock, didn't need to be first in line. This year I didn't have to work, so I looked at the ads, decided there wasn't anything worth driving in for, so I stayed home and caught up on my sleep.

For someone looking for hi-def TV, there were some awesome sales, looks like portable DVD players were on sale all over, too, but it's a want, not a need, and what we have is working fine. Besides, I just spent a lot on barn improvements, fencing, etc, and that is more important to me. Thankfully, we don't have a lot of folks to buy for - most of us don't exchange gifts or we do homemade goodies and frugal presents. That cuts the holiday stress quite a bit.

Gotta admit, though, when there is a sale on something I really want or need, I'm more than willing to brave the crowd for a few hours to save $$$$. I figure I'm paying myself x$/hr to "do battle", and a good attitude goes a long way while doing it!

11. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

At the Fox Cities Mall,near Appleton,WI, it is said that they expect 80,000 people today.

To get me to go there, someone would have to pay me BIG bucks.

I like people but I don't like crowds of them.

12. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

I was one of the crazy fools this morning. But being that we are on a tight budget this year I did save a ton of money on nice things we wouldn't otherwise have been able to own.i saved $70 alone on a leather jacket.!!!!!

Well worth it for me and it is also a tradtion I do.
    Very Fun. (remember I am the transplanted city gal. Moved out here to the country 10 years ago. Sometimes I just need a mall to clear my head. :dance:

13. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the first year I have ever stood in line for a store to open - but I was there at Staples a 1/2 hour before opeing with several hundred other people. I went with a list and knew exactly what I was going to get, and didn't buy a single impulse item. I saved $509! So was it worth 2 hrs of my time? I think it was.

Are Black Friday deals always good deals? No! You have to do your research and I've been doing mine for a couple of weeks. (Black friday ads are always available on-line a few weeks in advance.)

So while some think it madness to stand in-line and brave the crowds, others think of it as being frugal. :) (yes I really did need all of those computer accessories for my home business....)

14. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

WIHH--My BF and I were discussing this yesterday as well, and we came up to a similar conclusion that I do partake in "hunting/gathering" in the local grocery store. I guess great minds think alike!! ;)

We as humans have a desire to gather in supplies for the winter months--a holdover from our caveman days, I guess. You are right--perhaps those who live in the city need/want to gather bargains instead of harvest vegetables in the fall.

My problem isn't the bargain shopping, or the desire to buy nice things on a budget. It's the frenzy that seems to happen each year, and it's getting more frantic as I get older. On NPR this morning, they were talking about a mall this morning that had such a rush of people to get in the doors for their "Doorbuster" sales, that people were injured, and they had to lock the doors to get control!! All for a DVD player or a new sweater??? We seem to have lost control, and that's what concerns me.

Perhaps we need a way to refocus what is really important, but I'm not sure how to shift our culture's mindset. It's going to take something really big to do that...but perhaps if we all do our part to reduce the consumerism in the season, and focus what is really important, people will eventually catch on and change. That is my hope.

Sassa

15. Melissa

Melissa member

I went to Joanne's this morning. They had some great sales, plus a 20% off your total order before 9am coupon. I bought about $80 worth of fabric for $20. I only had to stand in line for about 10 minutes to have my fabric cut. That was worth saving $60!

There was one lady in front of me, I know her somewhat as some of her kids are in classes with my kids, she has nine children and she was buying about 100 yards of flannel material for 99 cents a yard, and could still get the 20% off.

16. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I was a BF shopper. We started out about 8 pm Thursday to stake out our place in line for the 5am store opening. I got a call here at home that there were about 60 people there already so change in game plan and sent them to the store across the parking lot while I went to another mall to check the line there. I ended up with the first group at around 10 pm. We dressed as warm as we could, brought blankets and chairs and settled in for a long night. I've never done an overnight in front of the store before. I usually get to the store around 4am but this year there were just to many deals on my shopping list to take the chance. The people were friendly and I had a good time swapping stories with the other idiots. There was no pushing and shoving, no yelling or fighting. We looked out for each other once we got into the store because by then we knew exactly what each other was looking for. Truth be told I was home and in bed before noon. I figure, of the core group of 4 that I went with, we collectively saved about $1500.00.

I had such a good time that if there is another door buster item that is important to me I will cheerfully do this again.

17. Triffin

we collectively saved about $1500.00.

Yes .... But how much did you have to spend ??

Triff ..

18. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I think that if I had items I knew I was going to buy (whatever my motivation) and I knew that this was cheaper than going on a "normal" day to shop, I'd go. As many people look down on spending, if someone is going to do it, why can't they spend as little as possible?

The saved vs spent thing...if they were getting it anyways, isn't it better to pay less for it? Wouldn't someone be condemned twice if they not only got this item, but paid full price? I see people repeatedly praising smart decisions about money. Sure, lots of people bought things they didn't need this morning. But I bet a good number of people (on this very forum even!!) got some bargains on things that they planned to buy.

Kayleigh
    (who didn't go shopping this morning, but also has all of her shopping done for the year. Including groceries.)

19. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Triffin between all of us we spent about $1200.00.

Beaners you are absolutely right. These were purchases that we were going to make and had been watching prices at various stores for months so we knew we were getting good deals. There was only 1 impulse buy in the group and that was a bed pillow that was an unadvertised sale. I only half consider that an impulse buy because she went to buy one last week and the store was out.

20. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I have been to the sales back home, darn near a riot, people grabbing things from other people, a REAL, knock down drag out!! Fists, hair, you name it. However this year here In Arkansas it was totally different. I arrived early scoped the joint out. Made plans with my shopping-buddy, we waited in the appropriate areas til time. While waiting I met some very nice people, Talking about what we were there for , some lines were for several different items.Compared notes, shared secrets about the sales, helped each other, Offered to grab one of those for her, while i was here , she grab one of those for me while she was there, and these werent my shopping buddies. These were strangers. It was you go ahead you were first, and all that. This was the nicest people. Now Im sure there were areas in the store that might have been more tense, but everyone seemed to get what they wanted, and everyone was happy. Nothing like the experience back home. Its amazing the difference that the two states had. I will definately go back next year!! I saved alot of money, had alot of fun, and met some really nice folks. You'll never guess what store it was either!!!! WAL MART. The sales people were happy, friendly, helpful, not over worked stressed out and rude like back home. It was a great experience , with the prefect mood for shopping.