Black Friday Homestead Deals?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fantasymaker, Nov 19, 2012.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Ok it seems like all the big box stores have a hundred buck big screen and 12 cent vidieo games but what are the best Homestead Items you have seen?

Is anybody getting up at 4 am to buy a woodspliter or roto tiller?:happy:

DamnearaFarm likes this.
  2. MichaelK!

MichaelK! Well-Known Member

This is just another way to relentlessly promote the hyper-consumptive society we live in. Just say no to it completely.

My wife and I will instead be traveling to our cabin to spend our time together in front of the woodstove instead of in front of the cash register.

Instead of shopping, way not try to plan some kind of family outing with your kids, or siblings, or whoever, instead of try to shop till you drop.

celticfalcon, jd4020, Batt and 2 others like this.

3. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I'm seriously thinking of being at Cabella's at 5am for their sale. I see several things that they have that I would like. A heavy duty dehydrator for $100 and a hd meat slicer and grinder for $70 each, just to name a few.

Cabelas Black Friday Flyer 2012 Page 1

giraffe_baby and Pearl B like this.
  4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member

Tractor supply has some cool stuff listed, but nothing that I need!

5. Chickensittin

Chickensittin Well-Known Member

We usually don't go shopping on Black Friday, but we went to Cabelas last year in the afternoon. Still plenty busy, but we found some good deals. I like to shop online, so maybe something will show up on the homesteading sites. Some of the big chains are encouraging shoppers to purchase online and then pick up the items at the store.

6. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    The last 2 years have been the only times of ever doing black friday and I throughly enjoyed myself both times. I'm generally never without my kids and when I went to my mom's for the holiday, it gave me the opportunity to go out and spend time with a couple of cousins and friends that I haven't got to see much of since I moved and gave my mom and kids alone time. There was no fighting and people were friendly. Of course my view might be different if there had been anything that I actually needed.:)

7. MDKatie

MDKatie Well-Known Member Supporter

We've always had a good time too. We generally don't get any of the high-demand stuff like electronics, so we steer clear of the really crazy areas of stores. We get out early, then are home early, change back into PJs, and then snack on leftovers and chill out for the rest of the day. Kinda a tradition for us now.

TJN66 and willielisa like this.
  8. missydcpc

missydcpc Well-Known Member

Bass Pro has a deal where you get a meat grinder, dehydrator and meat slicer for $149.

Fiancee and I will be hitting Michaels for art supplies for DGS10, KMART for a sewing machine for DGD and a couple of other stores for gifts for the rest of the littles...it'll be his first year doing Black Friday sales....this should be fun! LOL We too won't be hitting the busy sections of the store...so should be ok.

9. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty I got it on farm status. Supporter

If I had some silly money to blow like most people on black friday do--- I would no question be blowing it at Cabellas and Harbor Freight Tools. No TSC to worry about here though :(

10. Laura Zone 5

Laura Zone 5 Shut the front door! Supporter

Black Friday?
    LOVE IT.

Food blender processor combo? Penny's on the dollar
    Socks? Man they are all but giving them away.
    Long underware? Ditto.
    Grocery stores? ALL those 'thanksgiving day items' SUPER cheap.
    Camping clearance isles are PACKED FULL of clearance stuff to make room for the "toys".
    I will be more than happy to take them out of the store for penny's on the dollar.

There are plenty of sales that only happen this time of year, and I love the thrill of the chase!! Oh, and saving a butt-ton of money!

11. hippygirl

hippygirl Well-Known Member

I've never went out on BF, but if anyone sees a great deal on a decent chainsaw, please post it...pretty please!

12. floyd242

floyd242 Well-Known Member

jlxian likes this.
  13. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember the only Black Friday we ever stoood in line for- DS was 11 or 12 and is now 35,,,GFB and I went to Target at 3 a.m. and found that there was already a long line waiting to open at 8 am. We had some camping chairs in the car, took them to the line but wound up not sitting in them- there were some elderly people who had been standing in line we let them sit. I think they were rolling out nintendo DS or Playstation or something, and it was the very first year that Tickle Me Elmo was being released, so we had grandparents in line for young grandkids and parents in line for teens. We were all talking together and decided to form 2 lines, 1 for tickle me elmo and 1 for the gaming system. A guy went up and down the line taking orders for dunkin donuts and we held his place while he made the run. When the staff opened the doors they couldn't believe how organized and civilized we were all being. It was a cool experience. But we never did it again.

14. HeelSpur

HeelSpur Well-Known Member

I like watching the friday evening news, some pretty good cat fights.

4nTN likes this.
  15. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I havent gone in a few years... ESP since now they let you get it ONLINE for the same prices!!! I will be hitting the cabelas for DH gift ( reloading kit start up!!)

16. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOTS Of great chainsaw deals. It seems like everybody has "Wildthings" less than $100.
    Quite a few places with 10 or 20 % off on anything in the store.
    Sears is nationwide and seems to have some great deals.

17. hippygirl

hippygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I've seen the Wildthings and the $199 Husqvarna at TSC and am leaning toward that one...I don't know.

18. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

Just yesterday I got my "Thanksgiving Weekend" sale flyer from them.....
    See that they are having suet-blocks on sale, guess I just may have to stop in when I'm down that way...... Oh, there's a 22ton Huskee woodsplitter on sale for a $999.00 if'n your so inclined to buy one on sale?

19. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I worked a black friday at Kmart in 1985. I have never had the desire to go to a store on black friday since then :shocked:

20. countryfied2011

countryfied2011 Well-Known Member

I do all my BF shopping online. That is how I get most of my Christmas shopping done. In the past I have always been working at midnight, now that I am retired, guess I will have to set the alarm to get up at that time. I also love getting good deals on sheets and comforters to put up for later use, especially sheets.