Black eyed peas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by whiterock, Dec 29, 2004.

1. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Southerners, don't forget to eat your blackeyes Saturday. I was in the store yesterday and the endcap of one aisle was packed with three shelves of one pound bags. There were none with the dried beans. I got a couple of extra bags and when I checked out the cashier told me she had just been chewed out by a woman because the store was out of blackeyes. Make sure to check for special displays!
    BTW what do ya'll have with the blackeyes on Jan. 1?

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Blackeye peas, salt port, cabbage and carrots. This year we will probably also have ham and a pie or two.

3. kidsnchix

kidsnchix Well-Known Member

And don't forget the cornbread.

RoseKYTN

4. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

You have to have greens too! Collard or mustard with those blackeyed peas for the new year's good luck.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm picky and won't eat dried black eyed peas. I use the frozen ones and put okra in them. Fried rooster, gravy and mashed taters and iced tea, buttermilk pie for desert.

6. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

Hog Jowl, sliced and fried like bacon. Black-eye peas, rice, cornbread,and some kind of greens. I hated the hog jowl boiled and put in with the peas, made the peas taste bad. Fried like bacon is great, I always buy extra to put in the freezer. The grocery store charges more to slice it but it's worth the extra paid for even slices. I layer it in the iron chicken fryer and keep turning till all is done around the same time, that way you don't get that over-fried taste from only frying one layer at a time.

This year it is also the day of our family Christmas at Mom & Dad's, so we'll also have turkey, dressing and whatever else everyone takes as we do a potluck. But the most fun is dirty christmas, that lasts a few hours. Just love taking the present that someone else has !!!!!!!!!

Whatever you eat, hope that ALL have a safe and Happy New Year!!!!!!

7. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

We don't eat scavenger animals so there goes the salt pork :) When I make dried blackeyeds (which is often) I cook up up and served with good old fashioned mountain cornbread (NO SUGAR! You crazy northerners will eat anything if you put sugar in your cornbread) and sliced maters. Maters are two spensive now so we have to forgo them. Summertime we will have plenty of home grown and that peas, cornbread and maters is one of our favorite meals.

michele

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

My husband does a cassarole for New Years on the grill-grilled sausages (brats, knockwurst etc) then he puts a cast iron cassarole on the grill, adds the sausages, shredded cabbage, kraut, kale, cooked black eyed peas, cooked white beans, cooked black beans, peppers, onions, par-boiled potatoes and a half a beer. covers with foil and lets it cook for a while. Tastes great and it feeds a ton of people.

9. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Coalroadcabin, can I come over? :D

All of these recipes sound great.
    I haven't decided how I'm going to fix ours yet. I usually just cook them with some home made ham or bacon, onions, garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, salt & pepper and some crushed red pepper flakes.
    Sometimes I marinade them in a vinegar/oil sauce and serve them chilled in a salad.
    I have to have cornbread too with onion, cracklings, chopped jalapenos, and whole corn baked in. I'm getting hungry! :eek:

10. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Got me a fat ham bone ready to throw in mine. Can't wait.

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Black-eyed peas with ham, cornbread and boiled cabbage. We have it every year for New Year's Day.

12. whiterock

I asked the older woman that lives behind me in my pasture what she was having. Blackeyed peas, pigs feet, sweet potatoes, corn bread. She wanted some greens too but the collards don't look too good right now.
    Ed

13. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

I never eat black eyed peas...disgusting! For our New Year's dinner, it's fish and collard greens!

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

blackeyed peas cooked with sow bellie, and have cornbread, and some raw sliced onion, and sorgum, to go on the cornbread. boy, I could eat that every day, it is so good. you eat the pie, I'll eat the peas, and cornbread .

15. whiterock

Debitaber, you got that right.

16. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Ham, black-eyes, sweet taters, collard greens and corn bread. Washed down with ice tea and followed up with pecan pie.
    mamabear

17. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Every New Years we have: Sugar cured ham, blackeye peas, collards,homemade veg. soup, cornbread, sweet tea and pecan pies... We all go to mil (ususaly around 35 of us). The men will hunt in the am and the girls will cook... Happy New Year.

18. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Fresh ham, blackeye peas, collards, sweet potatoes, and corn bread. I know I'm a Yankee, but it is still left over from when my great grandmother moved from Kentucky. Plus my mom spent a few years growing up in the south. And our family is proud of its heritage.

19. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

This thread brings back memories. When I was growing up, my old daddy, who was born and raised in Oklahoma, insisted on blacy eyed peas on New Years Day.
    (Supposed to bring luck for the year.) My mother, who came from Chicago, never heard of the custom until she landed in this part of the world.

I don't think dad was crazy about them either, because the only times I can remember eating them was New Year's Day.

My dad was killed on New Years Day, 1975 - thirty years ago Saturday. (His house burned down with him in it.) Maybe I'll buy a can of them black eyed peas at the store today and eat them tomorrow in his memory. Might even make some corn bread.

(I haven't gotten much into New Years celebrating since 1975.)

20. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I've learned my lesson. No more New Year's Day meals without black-eyes. A number of years ago, we went to a neighbor's party on New Year's Eve. Mostly yankees, and most had never eaten or even contemplated BEP's in their life. I made 2 pounds of peas to take, and by the end of the party even the die-hard pea haters were eating seconds and thirds. None left. You just gotta know how to cook 'em. It's really simple:

-sort and wash the dried peas
    -put in a large pot 2/3 full with water
    -bring to boil
    -add the leanest piece of salt pork you can find
    -simmer 2 hours until tender, add more water as needed.
    -take out the salt pork and trim off the fat
    -mince the lean into very small pieces and add back
    -cook another 30 minutes
    -watch 'em disappear...