black berry bushes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by vulcan, Aug 12, 2006.

1. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

I took some clipping from a friend blue berry bush and they are doing well in the ground but this is their first week. Do you think they are going to grow into a new plant? Please let me know how you reproduce the blue berry bush. Thanks. :shrug:

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

The thread title says"black berry bushes".Are we talkin about blackberries or blueberries?
    I usually propagate my blueberries,by digging up a sucker from a mother plant,but blueberries are also easy to propagate by way of cuttings.Just snip off a green cutting,remove the lower leaves,leaving only a few leaves at the top.Put the new cutting in a pot with a soil medium that retains moisture well,keep it wet,and in some shade.In a few weeks,it should be ready to transplant.Using a rooting hormone will speed things up a bit.
    If your cuttings you put in the ground are looking okay,they will likely do just fine as long as you keep them well watered.
    Happy growin.

3. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

I wanted to know about both Blue berry and Black berry my clippings are doing not so good, but one is doing better, they are blue berry clippings. what about blackberries? Please forgive me I think I typed faster than I was thinking.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If your cuttings start to send out new leaves or shoots, that is a good sign. On the other hand, one of the things that kills cuttings is loss of moisture, so sometimes it is worth cutting off some of the leaves when you stick the cuttings in the ground. (the plants loose moisture through their leaves)

5. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

Along those lines...

How can I tame overgrown blackberry bushes? I have them everywhere and they're ginormous! They produce berries on the very ends of the highest canes. I can't pick them with out getting all scratched up.

:) RedTartan

6. vulcan

vulcan Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, but I trim the bush during fall and next year he does better or should I say she does better, also I am "training" it to climb my steps to the back yard so if she want to bring fruits in the tip of the branches I just go in my steps and collect them. Good lLuck. Vulcan

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Blackberries are like weeds...nasty weeds but real tasty. I cut the 'used' canes, the ones that bore fruit, to the ground after the berries are picked. This keeps the bushes from becoming overgrown. I also like to trim the new growth to a height of 1 1/2 -2 feet during the same pruning to reduce the height of the canes the following year so the fruit is easier to reach. Once the plants are at a manageable height, thin the bushes to 3-4 feet apart. This will give them some room to grow & give you enough space the following year to pick without getting all scratched up.

As for transplanting...I usually wait for the fall then locate the small suckers that grow a foot or so away from the main plant. The suckers are small and easier to transplant than the larger, establish canes. I dig out the plant as a small root ball then transplant it where I want it. There is no rocket science here as these plants are tenacious. The plant may appear to die...leave it be. New growth should start the following spring. The canes will bear little if any fruit the first year. Patience...I picked over 8 gallons of berries from the 10, 2 yr old transplants in the new vineyard.