Black Beauty Elderberries & Blueberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 22, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay, two questions:

1. I'm considering planting some Black Beauty elderberries. Has anyone here ever planted them? If so, what do you think about them?

2. I got only one blueberry (a rabbit eye) this past spring because I wanted to see how I did with it. It's done wonderfully :D , so I'm now planning on getting maybe 2 more. What kinds do you suggest? I'm assuming I don't HAVE to get another rabbit eye - ?

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I'm sorry noone has answered your questions yet. I'm also sorry that I don't have any answers for you other than that I think you need different varieties of blueberries for best production. I don't know why I "think" this though. I must think that I've read it somewhere.

I just wanted to reply to your questions to bump you back up to the top of the list in hopes that someone can help you. I replied to "apricot sprouts" and it dropped your question to the next page and I was afraid noone would see it.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thank you, Daybird. :)

I just figured if no one answered, I'd ask again in about a month. And, if no one answered then, I'd ask again a few weeks later. And ... well, you get the picture. :D

4. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it is recommended that you plant early, mid and late season varieties of blueberries. Also, I planted 2 varieties of elderberries quite a few years ago, but unfortunately don't remember their names. One variety is very black when ripe, the other dark red; both are delicious. I hope this helps:)
    Mickey

5. Jenco

Jenco Well-Known Member

Are elderberries ever called "dewberries"?

My grandpa had several different types of blueberries planted together, and he swore it made them hardier. I dont' know his logic, but I know he loved to garden and worked on the farm for 50+ years.

I don't know if that helps any though.... :eek: ;)

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

You're welcome. It's just been one of those days. :confused:

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

He. For me, actually, it's been one of those weeks. :haha:

Jenco, I THINK dewberries are different than elderberries. But I can't promise.

And thanks, Mickey! That helps a lot in my (pre-season) deciding on varieties. :D

8. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I don't know about Black Beauty, but I've got an elder tree in my very small garden. I just know it as Sambucus nigra, the black elder. It's one of my favourite herbs. Here in the subtropics, it's almost always in flower. I use both the flowers and the berries for eating, syrups etc. To me, the berries taste very similar to blackberries, and they can be used in any recipe calling for blackberries or other berries. I use the flowers to make a syrup which is great on ice cream etc, and which I also use as a medicine when I have a cold or sore throat. They can also be dipped in batter and fried up as fritters. The berries can be used for that purpose, also.

You may find that your plant will just grow and grow. I have to keep hacking mine back to keep it to a reasonable size in a small space. The roots spread far and wide and sends up lots of suckers, so it's a potential weed problem if you don't watch it. I'd say it would be a cow of a thing to try to eradicate once it really takes hold. I also find that nothing much will grow where the roots are, and I've tried all sorts of things. Aside from that, it's definitely a very easy-grow plant and worth having if only for those lovely flowers and berries, even if you only look at them!

You should only eat the flowers when they are very fresh (older ones can smell and taste a bit like cat's urine!), and only eat the berries when they are fully ripe. Unripe berries are toxic. Also, the berries should be cooked before being eaten, for the same reason. Toxins are reduced in the ripe fruit, but are still there, and are made safe by cooking.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

According to my dear departed mother (she told me this prior to departing), a dewberry is a very large berry in the blackberry family. Most folk mistakingly call them blackberries.

I've never planted elderberries. Our neighbors in junction had them and they were really good. Made a huge tree. I don't know the name of it. It was really old tho. It did spread, rather, he had a thicket of them he had to thin out.

Did your blueberry do well enough for you to take cuttings? If so, you might want to do so. Then use your cash to buy a couple different varieties that you can try to propagate.

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I was always told that the really, really big blackberries were in fact dewberries and that you must be at least 60 years old to eat them. I was also told (I'm now refering to other plants not growing among the roots) not to take a nap underneath an elderberry tree or you may never wake up.

Maybe I spent too much time with my grandparents. They also told me that a vine would grow out of my ear if I swallowed a watermelon seed, not to eat the hole out of the middle of a donut because they're used to make fish nets and not to go into the basement because "there's a booger down there."

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

culpeper, I think that's the elderberry I'm thinking of planting. I have elderberry growing everywhere here, but I want some close to the house so I can leave the other to the birds. I was thinking about the Black Beauty because I've read it smells just wonderful (unlike many of the other varieties) and is yet another hummingbird magnet.

Cyngbaeld and Daybird: :haha:

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Syrup of Sambucca niger is a great virus killer. I take it whenever a cold threatens.

Sandi

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

That's exactly why I want my own elderberry bushes --- I'm actually making elderberry extract right now --- it's been brewing for about a month, but should be ready in time for winter. :yeeha: :yeeha:

14. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

culpepper - you mentioned that nothing will grow next to your elderberries - do you think its because they crowd everything else out or do you feel the roots affect the soil (like black walnuts do)?
    thanks ! !

15. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Wish more of us ahad spent too much time with our grandparents...

You have a rich heritage. Some rainy day, write it down and keep it with a picture of them. You'll be glad you did.

At my house, you had to be 62 (or whatever age Nanny was) to use matches. (sadly, she smoked)

And "government" was a curse word, as in "These dad-blamed government tomatoes."

And food went in the "refridgitator," and "When you're in a hurry, you don't have time to go fast" and many others.

But I don't know beans about berries :haha:

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I knew an elderly who once went into the hospital and informed all her visitors that the meteorologist had been by and hooked the batteries to her.

:D

There aren't too many elderlies like that around anymore, at least that they'll leave in peace.

17. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I wish I had known the questions to ask my elders when I was young and they were alive. But I didn't know what to ask and they rarely volunteered their wisdom. They were a quiet bunch and could sit with you for hours hardly saying a word.

18. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I think the roots must exude some growth inhibitors which affect other plants. The only evidence I have for this is that, in my tiny little courtyard garden, wherever the roots spread to, nothing else will grow there. Except elder suckers, which have popped up quite some distance away from the tree itself. There's enough light under the tree itself for shade-lovers to grow. Possibly it's simply because the elder has an extensive root system which doesn't leave room or nutrients for anything else. I've tried, but can't find any information about this anywhere. Meantime, all I can suggest is that you plant your elder well away from the rest of your garden!