black bears

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatee, Feb 1, 2005.

1. goatee

goatee Active Member

Has anyone had any trouble with black bears killing goats?I have seen a very large one in the backyard several times.It weighs at least 500 lbs and is not very frightened by my hollering at it.It just looks at me and ambles away slowly.It was sniffing at my wife's coy pond which is right outside of the front door.I am worried now.My meighbor says it chased her pitbull into the house the other day and it was shaking all over and it is an aggressive dog.

2. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

I'd be getting the roasting pan ready for that bear! :) Black bears are sure tender and tastey! But, if you live in an area where you couldn't (or wouldn't) shoot him, I'd think you could call your state Fish and Game Dept. or wildlife dept (whatever it's called in your state). Here, if wild animals are being a threat, they'll sometimes come and trap the animal and take it away (even bears). If necessary, they kill the animal. But I'd MUCH rather eat him. Let me know if you want some recipes :) I hear smoked bear is delicious!

Alaska HOMESTEADING Journal

also: HOMESTEADING

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The black bears here are pretty much chickens and don't come anywhere near the house and barns. I make sure there isn't anything for them to eat around the place so they stay in the woods. It doesn't sound like that's your situation, though.

I have not heard of black bears killing goats. I know that they have killed chickens, cats, and dogs. And they can obviously kill people. I'd be really concerned about a bear coming that close to my home. Concerned enough to get the shotgun.

4. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

Right! It's one thing when they're just around in the woods, but another when they're bold enough to come into your "yard". Here we have more problems with black bears like that than almost anything else. They can be such a pest that they're dangerous. Maybe it's because we also have grizzlies, so they keep the black bears run off from the main food. The grizzlies are the ones that usually stay out of the yard. They'd rather just avoid people all together if they can. Except for the younger grizzlies that probably just got kicked out of the nest. They tend to behave more like black bears, only they're often bigger and more aggressive. At the very least, I'd keep something handy in case he comes back when you're out in your yard/fields, etc. I've never heard of them killing goats, either, but I suppose they could.

5. goatee

goatee Active Member

Thanks for the answers.I have a rifle but was told that killing a bear could result in large fine unless proven to be a major problem.The wildlife com.has already trapped 4 large bears from my local area.If it persists I may need a recipe or two.Smoked hindquarter don;t sound too bad.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

They'd fine you if you shot the bear in your front yard? The fact a bear is coming that close to people makes it a problem, they're usually afraid of people. I guess they can only fine you if they find out you shot one, right?

In the meantime, do you have a barn you can close the goats up in? I get cougars coming through my property at night, so my critters are behind walls and doors at dusk to keep them safe.

7. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

My concern would be if the bears are coming that close, there is a reason. If there is a shortage of food, and they were hungry they would eat your goats.
    Bears are omnivorous (eat both meat and "veggies"). Although the black bear is not as aggressive as the brown varieties, but none the less a hungy bear is a force to be reckoned with.

I would like suggested, get the rifle "loaded for bear" and get the oven preheated !!!

8. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

In Massachusetts last summer/fall it was on the news that a man was given a mighty hefty fine for shooting a black bear that was on his porch trying to get into his house. Apparently the man had bird feeders around and when the bear came around the first time and he called Fish and Game, they told him to take the feeders down and he didn't, so when the bear returned and he killed it they fined him.
    Mickey

9. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

maybe i'm missing something. why wouldn't he take down the feeders? around here, 99.9% of problems with bears are human caused. it's like this guy moved to where the bears lived, and hung up feeders. then, because he only wanted to feed other animals and not bears (which the bears surely do not understand) he shot the bear? food draws bears to where humans are. it is well known that all food needs to be stored out of bears' reach. imo, this sounds like another case of people being the problem, instead of the bear.

our black bears here in the smokies are having a really rough time of it, many are thin and starving. it is 100% due to loss of habitat. there's no place left for them to go, except into yards. there's no food left, after all the trees are cut down that make mast. average size is around 150 pounds, in a good year. but still, they are terrified of humans. a bear that comes into a yard is a desparate bear.

10. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

The one thing bears like more than anything is fish. You have a coy pond in your front yard!! Sea food buffet. Next time he shows up, if he is slow to leave when you yell at him, fire a shot or two over his head. If that doesn't get him moving any faster, fire a couple of shots into his head, but see if you can shot him by the barn so you don't have to drag him very far.

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I get black bears in my yard quite regularly, all I do is grab a couple metal pot lids and bang them together very quickly.They hightail it outta here pretty fast! I never get the same bear twice in my yard. :D

12. goatee

goatee Active Member

I know if I shoot the bear it will be a fine.The bears here are all big because there is lots of berries and lots of streams with trout in them.Also lots of deer in this area.I will try banging the lids or shooting over it;s head.I think it is drinking water out of my spring as I see lots of signs of this.Poop everywhere.Only had this one in once and was right after the wife fed her fish and the fishfood smells like dead fish to me, so I imagine the bear could smell it way better than me and this may have been what broght him in. I don't really want to shoot the bear am just concerned for my livestock and will do everything to protect them from all intrusions.As far as intruding on the bears turf I have lived here for many years and I am willing to share the land but not the goats.He has at least 1000 acres of heavy timberland to roam on so I feel like he is intruding on me.

13. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Hey goatee, make sure you wear ear plugs if you try the lid banging thing, it hurts my ears, but works like a charm.