Black bears

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by woodspirit, Apr 22, 2006.

1. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Anyone know if black bears are a problem with cows? I know they are tough with bee hives and find goats quite tasty. We are getting quite a few bears around here and wasn't sure if anyone out there has any experiences with them around cows.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Not sure about cows, but the calves can be prey for them, especially if they yell. I heard of an instance that a calf was dragged out of a barn because it was yelling, sounded like prey to the bear. I haven't heard of any big issues with them, and it might be a rare case if a bear does attack a cow.

Jeff

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

We have them here, they cross the property often, tho' I've not personally seen them do that, neighbors have reported it -- but haven't bothered my one 1500# cow, or when she had her first calf at her side. I do have a noisey coupla dogs, one of which for the past year, is a Great Pyr. There was a momma and three cubs last year, neighbors tell me, in our canyon that's not 600 ft. away from our hill here. This momma bear "owns" that canyon. There are many noisey dogs in our area, so that keeps most of our four-legged predators away...and we DO have a goodly supply of them. One neighbor has two llamas, and they're as good as watchdogs for some critters.

They do not like loud noises...or bright lights, so when I was out at night feeding my "herd," I'd be sure to at least make a lot of noise with the can in which I carry her grain-alfalfa mix, and always, but always, have the dogs with me.

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

They can be, but most aren't. It's not unusual for a bear to take a calf. I've had neighbours who have had Jersey or Holstein calves taken from the hutch in the barn yard, others who calve in the open who've had bears eat the calf while it's still halfway out of the cow and the cow couldn't get away. Occasionally they've taken a cow but that's pretty rare.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Being in Northern WI surrounded by woods and bears my personal experiece is that the bears generally leave my cows alone. We've always have had a large herd so maybe there is safetly in numbers. During nice weather our cows have always calved outside, never a problem.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was when our herd treed a bear. The bear walked to the edge of the woods, which boarders the pasture. The cows were some ways away but when they saw the bear they all became very curious and took off at a dead run at the bear. The entire herd! The bear was totally freaked out and scampered up the tree. It stayed up there most of the day.

Heather

6. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Where in WNY are you? I'm in Cattaraugus county, haven't heard any reports of sightings.

7. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

No problems w/ BB here...now Cougar is a different story...but that's only happened once. :) Ran our neighbors 2 yearlings through 4 strand barbed wire into our pasture, and left some nice claw streaks and ripped the tail off one of our springing heifers. Luckily no casualties :)

8. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Ontario county. We have them right in the yard. There is a female that dens less than a quarter mile from the house. So in the spring she stays really close because of cubs. As the summer progresses she'll make bigger circles to teach the cubs. By late summer she'll be five or ten miles from here but she'll be back in the fall to den up again. We have approx 150 in our county. Do a google search for Leaping Louise. That's our female. She is about six years old now. We had a male in the yard the other day. He was taller and longer than a Mackenzy deer target. They have been vaccuuming up acorns like there's no tomorrow.

9. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

We have a dozen or so that frequent our area. Unfortunately a neighbor fed them in the past. The vet advises no calves are to stay out overnight a bear will consider it just a snack. We haven't had any problems yet. Our road dead-ends to the National Forest about a 1/2 mile away from us here in Northwoods WI. Soon we will be taking down more trees to open up some pasture. For now the bears travel along the path my DH cut down for the bicycles in the back of our land behind the house and barn.