Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Yup - they are out in force ....
There's a candidate in California that's taking a 1000 pound bear on the campaign trail with him - All over the news today. PETA is up in arms against it.

Please, this post is about a 1000 # bear - not about politics!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
1000lb bear a boy .
The 4 / 500 lbs are really big 1000lb bear must be huge.
I have a good size bear here that can reach up into my pine tree in the yard and just pull him self straight up , he can reach 8’ , i can’t believe how tall they are if they stand up.
I was eating breakfast before fishing one morning In a 36’ travel trailer and we had a bear just stand up and peek in the window, I could of flick him in the nose thru the screen .

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Voyageur's National park provides bear proof lockers at each campsite for you to put your food in.

bear_locker_4.JPG

If you have a serious bear problem you should build one. I am sure that you can devise a latch that the bear can't figure out but the garbage man can.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Voyageur's National park provides bear proof lockers at each campsite for you to put your food in.

View attachment 96587

If you have a serious bear problem you should build one. I am sure that you can devise a latch that the bear can't figure out but the garbage man can
I was just talking to my buddy at the weld shop about building a trash can cabinet like that .
He is going to figure out what it’s going to cost😝 I don’t really have extra money now I have a lot of things in the air but it Dosent hirt to ask.
It’s starting to look like I need a small dumpster like they have in the back of stores .
Hmmmm I mite just have to take my chances with the bears .

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Where I used to live, the garbage cans that weekly trash pick-up services use had a bar going across the top of the can that held the lid in place or a latch that kept the lid locked. Worked well to keep bears out of the trash.

google: locking trash cans

Reactions: Wellbuilt

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Where I used to live, the garbage cans that weekly trash pick-up services use had a bar going across the top of the can that held the lid in place or a latch that kept the lid locked. Worked well to keep bears out of the trash.

google: locking trash cans
I have tried all types of straps , it will work for the little bears but the large bears just tear the lids off .
We have 3 1 yard rolling trash cans , I’m going to try wrapping a 2” Ratchet strap around the can a few times And see how long it takes them to get it open .
It dosent help that the garbage truck comes at all different times and we mist the pick up today. So there will be a feast tonight

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Around here anyone whether residential or business who leave bear attractants out- exactly as you are doing- get fined. Locals take this seriously.
Bears like that get shot.
You can't rehab garbage bears.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I here what you guys are saying , there are multiple problems .
The garbage company picks up when they feel like it so the trash gets extra tasty.
There are a lot of bears and lots of homes on the road and town .
I tried strapping the lid on the can last night I wrapped it with a 25’ 2” Ratchet strap twice .
Our cans are supplied buy the garbage company I think that could be my answer?
O ya it took the bear all of 3 Minutes to rip the lid off last night .
I’m going to start in on the garbage Company first thing Monday morning .
I mite just have a bunch of gangsters throwing garbage all over my lawn instead of the 🐻

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I here what you guys are saying , there are multiple problems .
The garbage company picks up when they feel like it so the trash gets extra tasty.
There are a lot of bears and lots of homes on the road and town .
I tried strapping the lid on the can last night I wrapped it with a 25’ 2” Ratchet strap twice .
Our cans are supplied buy the garbage company I think that could be my answer?
O ya it took the bear all of 3 Minutes to rip the lid off last night .
I’m going to start in on the garbage Company first thing Monday morning .
I mite just have a bunch of gangsters throwing garbage all over my lawn instead of the 🐻
Around here the garbage company supplies bear proof garbage cans. I’ve heard of bears getting into them but it’s quite rare. Like car doors. Few lock their cars here. And yet bears rarely work that out. But when one finally figures it out it trashes all the cars down the road until people lock them or someone shoots it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We don't have garbage pickup to the house. So we just process our own. Why is so hard? We already separate cans, bottles, plastic and paper/cardboard. What's left is the stuff the bear really wants and we drop that at the recycle center which also collects the stuff which isn't recycled.

Is there no recycle center near by? Seems like that is the real solution - get rid of the attractant.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I here what you guys are saying
+ + + +
I've heard this a thousand or more times also from people....
Usually it is accompanied by a string of excuses that amount to... we will do like we have been, or want to..
Again.. Doing the same thing and expecting different results.. Keep pounding your thumb with the hammer and waiting for the time it doesn't hurt...

Fireweed Farm said.....
Around here anyone whether residential or business who leave bear attractants out- exactly as you are doing- get fined. Locals take this seriously.
Bears like that get shot.
You can't rehab garbage bears.
+ + +
Finely..... Someone who understands.. And understands the science rather than the opportunity to brag at the local Starbucks....
Don't get me started...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not a tree hugging liberal save the world type. In fact, to me, animals in my world both domestic or wild are here to serve my purposes. When they do not serve my purpose I deal with them. OTOH, they are part of God's creation and I have a responsibility to tend that part of creation. If I am doing or NOT doing something that twists the 'normal' course and the animal becomes a problem that has no reasonable resolution it has to be dealt with. Be it a dog that I didn't correctly train, the house cat that continuously pisses on the dog's floor pillow or the bear getting into feed cans at the livestock pens - those failures are on my account. But if something ultimately has to be put down it hurts. Sometimes immensely.

I just hope that I keep learning so someone doesn't consider me in the same way. Maybe I could be trapped and moved. But like animals that has happened to, I'd probably find my way back home. So this whole thread comes down to this: If ya don't like what is going on then you change yourself to bring about the results you desire.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yes all that is fine and dandy .
I have 15people living here and we make a lot of trash .
I have 4 1yard cans out side .
There is no recycle center around here There is a dump 40 mins away .
When we kept the trash in the garage the bears ripped the door off and got to the cans
I moved the cans to the Bacement and a bears Pushed in the door and tore the place up .
I think all bears in my town are trash bears ?
I really don’t care that they are here all the time .
Its just how it is , and there is nothing I can do to change it .
no one cares , And I just except that we have to clean up after them .
I’m going to try to get the trash compony to give me better cans .
Even if there is no trash here the bears will still be around, they have a designated route they follow .
I can here the dogs barking from down the road as a bear move around .
At my cabin I keep the trash inside and take it to the dump in town it’s not so far away .
Different areas Handel things differently , in my area every one chooses to do nothing , and we live with them its no big thing .
There is no one shooting them , the bear sitting on the rock has been here for 4 years
The first year with his mother and 2 sisters .
They vanish just befor hunting season .
There was only one bear last night 👍

21 - 40 of 41 Posts