Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this little bear looking in my back door in the middle of the day .
I opened the door and scared him and he went running .
The bears have been hitting my trash cans every day or so .
I’m sure there is 4or 5 running around here now .
They stay around here in till the end of June then come back in September

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
I saw this over the weekend. It doesn’t happen often with blacks but I’ve always heard that if a black is coming after you run like hell or fight like hell because they are seeing you as food. Never play dead with a black bear. A friend of mine lost her best friend when a black followed her up onto her roof and killed her. Sadly, she’d left her gun in the boat she arrived in.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My grandmother used to bake pies and set them on the back porch to cool. I have seen her chase a mother black bear and cubs off the pouch with a broom. I always stayed behind the safety of the screen door.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The bears have been hitting my trash cans every day or so .
+ + + +
If they are raiding every other day or so... YOU are doing something wrong.. YOU can not do the same thing and expect different results.. YOU need to make a change and move the cans to a more secure location... If you don't secure garbage better, YOU are creating a dead bear..IF not a possibly dangerous bear along the way.. This from the old saying ....a fed bear is a dead bear... It is nearly impossible to change there behavior once they learn a food source and loose fear of humans..

This all from Wildlife Biology ever so many years ago... Much of this science has not changed over many years..

Bears are just now starting to come out here.. We have the beginnings of green grass and mouse ear leaves on bush on the sunny side of the road.. The shady side of the road still has snow banks teaming fog as they melt.. It will take a bit of time yet for full emergence..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a 250 lb bear he is looking in a bed room window this after noon .
The trash man comes twice a week.
It’s hard to keep them out of the Cans .
It’s been like this for 30 years .
If my trash was locked up they would still be here , they hunt trash on the hole road .

·
Registered
521 Posts
+ + +
No it is not..... Move the cans to a more secure place..
= = =
It’s been like this for 30 years
+ + +
That is insane to have gone this long and not tried to figure out a more secure solution.. You are indeed lucky if no one has been hurt in that time..
= = = = .
If my trash was locked up they would still be here , they hunt trash on the hole road .
+++
Sounds as the whole neighborhood is enabling the problem.. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it the best thing to do..
Like the old saying... If everyone else jumped off a cliff.... would you... ??
= = = =
I've seen this a thousand or more times... People call saying there is this animal in my yard... Then they call later after there bird feeder has been trashed, pet eaten, shrubs, garden, fruit bushes etc eaten or damaged INSISTING SOMETHING BE DONE.... Well, why didn't they do something..?? For instance... Like take in there trash cans..
And who is to suffer in all this...?? The animal of course as they are doing what there instincts tell them..

People don't need saved from the animals.... Animals need to be saved from people who don't have a clue..
Don't get me started...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kept the trash in the basement for a few years but the bears pushed the door in and trashed the place .
They went thru my garage door to get the cans one year .
tried bear proof cans that worked for few weeks but I would have to keep finding the can in the morning they would roll them around , filly a large bear chewEd the lid up and I cold not get it off .
I had a garbage shed for a few years but they ripped it up .
The bears are relentless my solution is to put food waste in the freezer and have somebody drop it in the truck when they drive-by .
They still go after the cans with just paper in them .
I’m looking for a pic I have of a large male riding around on the top of a garbage truck.
The bear sitting on the rock 10 ‘ from the window just hangs around here , he is very easy going you can tell he likes the kids , if I walk to him he will start to back up .
If I go about my Business in the yard he will just sit an watch .
If I have fish guts from a fishing trip and try to compost them it’s like ringing the dinner bell , I get bears running all over the place .
Last year I had a small bear that would snap his jaws at me , he did not like men ?
I don’t think the bears or I are suffering ?
I think we are both doing our thing , they Do not eat me ,and I don’t eat them.
The kids just clean up the trash It’s our system .

·
Registered
521 Posts
The bear sitting on the rock 10 ‘ from the window just hangs around here , he is very easy going you can tell he likes the kids
+ + + +
Wonderful....... Until the day it decides to test if children really do taste like chicken...
= = =
Last year I had a small bear that would snap his jaws at me , he did not like men ?
+ + + +
DUH... That means they don't like ANY BODY being that close...
That is a DEFINITE sign they are ready to defend them selves..
= = = =
I think we are both doing our thing , they Do not eat me
+ + +
they don't eat me...... Yet.... But you seem the expert.. So will you know the one time one decides to do a taste test ??
= = =
+ + +
Great.... Send a snack out to clean up after an appetizer...
Good thinking there professor..
= = = =
Back to your comment... This has been going on 30 years... So you have just successfully trained 10 generations or so of bears to not fear humans, find a food source from humans..
Keep up the good work..... Commune with nature "in your system" ... Until the day you or one of your neighbors becomes a local head line...
Then listen to everyone harrumph over the situation.. Look around wide eyed as in "how did this come about ??" DEMAND something be done.. IMMEDIATELY...

Heard it a thousand times.. or more....

Reactions: IlliniosGal

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bear sitting on the rock 10 ‘ from the window just hangs around here , he is very easy going you can tell he likes the kids
+ + + +
Wonderful....... Until the day it decides to test if children really do taste like chicken...
= = =
+ + + +
DUH... That means they don't like ANY BODY being that close...
That is a DEFINITE sign they are ready to defend them selves..
= = = =
I think we are both doing our thing , they Do not eat me
+ + +
they don't eat me...... Yet.... But you seem the expert.. So will you know the one time one decides to do a taste test ??
= = =
+ + +
Great.... Send a snack out to clean up after an appetizer...
Good thinking there professor..
= = = =
Back to your comment... This has been going on 30 years... So you have just successfully trained 10 generations or so of bears to not fear humans, find a food source from humans..
Keep up the good work..... Commune with nature "in your system" ... Until the day you or one of your neighbors becomes a local head line...
Then listen to everyone harrumph over the situation.. Look around wide eyed as in "how did this come about ??" DEMAND something be done.. IMMEDIATELY...

Heard it a thousand times.. or more....
You have to lighten up a little I own 3 houses within 200 miles here in ny .
The place is full of black bears , all around here , it’s just a every day occurrence .
I live in the country ? No bears in the trash to day , but I saw one crossing the road On my way home . If I go to the dump there are lots of bears .
Really there is not much I can do about there presents we just have to get along with them .
The big bears get shot in hunting season .
I have a few huge bears at my off grid cabin.
There is no food around at all, but the bears just like to sniff around .
DEMAND , what , from who ? The police dont care , the game warden dosent care , he lives at the bottom of the road .
If the state traps a problem bear they drop them off a few miles from my house I’m close to the state park .
I’m 60 years old I’ve lived here for 30 years but have been around bears all my life .
I’ve never heard about any one getting eaten , I’m sure it could happen .
But I’m not worried .
im sure it very possible to run into a really big aggressive bear I’ve seen a few that where scary .
There are 1000s of kids getting on and off school buses in the dark all over and no one is getting eaten .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a old pic from last year .
A small black bear , that stole my empty cooler off the table on my porch .
I was throwing pot at him .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is one of the biggest bears I’ve seen , we where doing some stone work 60 feet from the
posted singe , there where 2 Cubs 100 feet to the right I was snapping some pics , then I looked over there she was
The posted singe is above my head and the bear is down on all 4s
the pic is blurry because we where all headed in to the house fast . 😬

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked up bear deaths , there where 25 bear deaths in the last 20 years in all of North America .
Hmmmmm dosent sound to bad , 2 of those deaths where with in 20 mils of my house .
Just a little fact of the day .

·
Registered
521 Posts
My closest neighbors are bears, Mt. Lions, and Wolves. I would rather have them around than people.
+ + + +
Agree.... I would rather live with wildlife and the problems they are capable of causing rather than most people and the stupid they commit... Much of it repeatedly..

My 5 cents of opinion..

Reactions: IlliniosGal

·
Registered
388 Posts
+ + +
No it is not..... Move the cans to a more secure place..
= = =
It’s been like this for 30 years
+ + +
That is insane to have gone this long and not tried to figure out a more secure solution.. You are indeed lucky if no one has been hurt in that time..
= = = = .
+++
Sounds as the whole neighborhood is enabling the problem.. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it the best thing to do..
Like the old saying... If everyone else jumped off a cliff.... would you... ??
= = = =
I've seen this a thousand or more times... People call saying there is this animal in my yard... Then they call later after there bird feeder has been trashed, pet eaten, shrubs, garden, fruit bushes etc eaten or damaged INSISTING SOMETHING BE DONE.... Well, why didn't they do something..?? For instance... Like take in there trash cans..
And who is to suffer in all this...?? The animal of course as they are doing what there instincts tell them..

People don't need saved from the animals.... Animals need to be saved from people who don't have a clue..
Don't get me started...
good for you! Finally someone who tells it like it is.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You have to lighten up a little I own 3 houses within 200 miles here in ny .
The place is full of black bears , all around here , it’s just a every day occurrence .
I live in the country ? No bears in the trash to day , but I saw one crossing the road On my way home . If I go to the dump there are lots of bears .
Really there is not much I can do about there presents we just have to get along with them .
The big bears get shot in hunting season .
I have a few huge bears at my off grid cabin.
There is no food around at all, but the bears just like to sniff around .
DEMAND , what , from who ? The police dont care , the game warden dosent care , he lives at the bottom of the road .
If the state traps a problem bear they drop them off a few miles from my house I’m close to the state park .
I’m 60 years old I’ve lived here for 30 years but have been around bears all my life .
I’ve never heard about any one getting eaten , I’m sure it could happen .
But I’m not worried .
im sure it very possible to run into a really big aggressive bear I’ve seen a few that where scary .
There are 1000s of kids getting on and off school buses in the dark all over and no one is getting eaten .
Most Bear will not mess with you unless Mother Bear has a young baby then stay away from her. I love Bear meat. Makes a good roast.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Emmm I like bear meat but I’m not allowed to shoot them in the yard .
I get may share from auto Accidents I’ve hit 2 with my snow plow .
I don’t hunt for bear and I’ve never seen one when I was hunting .
They make great roasts and shish kebab 👍

·
Registered
521 Posts
Smoke until partualy done.. Cube, raw pack in 1 liter jars.. Pressure can like you would raw beef.. So many uses..

Cubed in the slow cooker with a bit of BBQ sauce, carrots, potatoes, onion, for a one dish meal..

Great as a filler meat in most any kind of smoked sausage... We make several varieties of cheese, cracker, sausage snacks, with tea with bear meat..

Reactions: Gayle in KY
1 - 20 of 41 Posts