Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever hear of Equitable Sharing? It's basically where the police take your money, then force you to prove you got it legally if you want it back.... They hope you won't bother so they can keep it...

I sat around all day waiting to see if someone would post this... Read the whole thing last night... WAKE UP PEOPLE....

After the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, the government called on police to become the eyes and ears of homeland security on America’s highways.

Local officers, county deputies and state troopers were encouraged to act more aggressively in searching for suspicious people, drugs and other contraband. The departments of Homeland Security and Justice spent millions on police training.

The effort succeeded, but it had an impact that has been largely hidden from public view: the spread of an aggressive brand of policing that has spurred the seizure of hundreds of millions of dollars in cash from motorists and others not charged with crimes, a Washington Post investigation found. Thousands of people have been forced to fight legal battles that can last more than a year to get their money back.

It's a long read, but well worth it... Well written and investigated article..
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

Reactions: davel745

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I thought from your title the county was paving your road and charging you for it.

Legalized theft is what "asset forfeiture" amounts to. I've not heard about it locally, but then it's not something the LEOs would brag about. I guess it's replaced speed traps in some places.

I'm still trying to figure out what 9/11 has to do with drug/money smuggling. Phony excuse if I ever heard one.

·
Premium Member
25,205 Posts
My brother lost the little cash he had when he got stopped. Took a couple months before it was returned. The police still kept a portion.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Heard of it?
Oh yeah. Lots of towns in Florida have been "collecting" cash for years......
This guy started it as a trooper then went on to be a Sheriff in Daytona.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb4eJ-cxNZQ[/ame]

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still trying to figure out what 9/11 has to do with drug/money smuggling. Phony excuse if I ever heard one.
Drug money finds terrorism... but that's not what i's really about.. It's about money for he department.. They could care less about drugs or terrorists.. they are just greedy...

9/11.. the governments dream come true.. What better way to make excuses to control the people and steal from them...

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
The 9/11 connection is from the new way info is collected, stored and shared among gov't agencies. The article laid it out from the beginning. This is trooper Vogel's profiling technique gone high tech.......

Behind the rise in seizures is a little-known cottage industry of private police-training firms that teach the techniques of “highway interdiction” to departments across the country.

One of those firms created a private intelligence network known as Black Asphalt Electronic Networking & Notification System that enabled police nationwide to share detailed reports about American motorists — criminals and the innocent alike — including their Social Security numbers, addresses and identifying tattoos, as well as hunches about which drivers to stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts