Black and decker

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Sep 20, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

is it just me or is B&D tool junk now? I use to be able to make most of their stuff last for years (think I still have my first drill from them which was about 15 years ago).

I just picked up one of their sanders today and used it for about an hour and its already shot. Needless to say its going back tomorrow. Seems most places are selling cheap junk instead of work tools nowaday..

on a positive note I got the first coat of mud on the bathroom ceiling, about 1/3 of the sanding done.

Maybe finish in there this weekend!!!

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I had a rechargeable drill that wouldn't recharge after less than a year. I agree on that particular tool. I've had Ryobi tools for several years now, they are cheap, but they are holding up really well for what I do. Better than my Black and Decker drill by a mile.

hollym

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No, it's not just you. They can't even make a decent plastic bag for a vacuum sealer.

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

my cordless drill/driver is still going strong. I used it to build a chicken coop in its entirety (from an attachment that allowed it to cut with a jigsaw to drilling holes and driving screws) it did everything except tack the wiring over the holes. and it still works great.

any company that makes millions of anything will have lemons. return/exchange/be happy.

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Black and Decker has been relugated to junk took ( home owner) Dewalt is a wanna be professional and Black and Decker the parent company bought Delta, Porter Cable and are busy trashing it.
    Ryobi is a rather step child. Most of there stuff is better than it looks but sometimes it can be bad. Bosch is pretty good stuff. It what I use mostly, Milwaukee was bought by the same company that owns Ryobi but seems to be holding its own. Rigid is trying hard. They currently have a lifetime guarantee on a lot of there stuff. Seems to be pretty good stuff. The Europeans are trying to get in. but with Americas total focus on "cheap" they are going slow.

6. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

That is almost true of B&D, exept it should read:any company that makes millions of anything will have a good one now and then.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

had long time ago given up on bd tools but had need of a pallet cutter saw . found a used bd circular saw that had the cord cut off . for three years cut up pallets and naily boards while the makita colleted dust and cut the good wood. sent the bd off in the trash last week(whoa that was today!!!!!) with the moter still running but the case split in two and the heel broke off . if i had paid three hundred dollars it would have owed me nothing!! have another bd junker ready for the pallet pile , hope it lasts the year, still have three old bd drills but from the seventys.they all have their good periods and the junker times . had makita for years but they have cheapend up now we shop per tool in person ,no more brand name !!!

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I've got some BD stuff. One of my better cordless drills is one of their quantum series...worked it to death for a year and a half w/no problems. Now a lot of their stuff is marketed at the casual user. I've got some of their junk.....stuff I don't use but an hour or two a year, and it holds up ok.

I've got some Ryobi and de Walt...all with extended warranties...doesn't take long to burn something up if it's junk...go back and get another, use it harder to see if it's going to make it through the gauntlet...then I ease off and use it regularly....

You get what you pay for... cheap stuff's fine for ever now and then...if you make most of your living off of tools like I do, go for quality, and most'll last a lifetime...

9. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Like many have already said... you get what you pay for. Most americans shop solely on price, so the cheapest stuff out there is really complete garbage. The tools you'll find in a big-box store will range from crap to okay for moderate use.

10. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I make a living using all kinds of tools. I keep a Black and Decker Firestorm 18 volt cordless drill, sawzall, circular saw, flashlight, and the 24 volt hammer drill in my work van. I keep a 14 volt Black and Decker cordless drill and sawzall in my farm truck. I have had most of these tools for at least 3 years now. Shure they aren't the quality of the same tools I have made by DeWalt that I have in my shop, but if someone breaks in my work van and steals my tools I am out a lot less money. DeWalt is the best I have ever had. Some of my tools are over 10 years old and they still work as good as the day I bought them. My Black and Decker tools work hard all day long and they have stood up to some rough punishment. On the other hand Ryobi is a piece of crap. I bought a 18 volt set about 3 years ago and was replacing batteries every 3 or 4 months. Plus I was always having to recharge the batteries. I WILL NEVER OWN ANYTHING MADE BY RYOBI AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Anyone that wants to put their brand of tools up against either my DeWalts or my B&D Firestorms feel free to come by my farm and help me build something. LOL

11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

B&D makes cheap junk. They sell it in Walmart. Walmart customers demand a cheap price tag, and will take trash to get it.

B&D makes quality tools. They cost a lot more and are sold in stores like Granger and Ace Hardware.

Expensive quality for those who want it, cheap junk for others who want that instead. Nothing new in that business strategy.

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got a few B&D tools and have had pretty good luck with them. I have a B&D circ saw and drill that I have really used a lot and they are performing flawlessly. Bought in the early to mid 90s. Sort of an odd greenish color. I've got some old B&D hedge trimmers that are older than I am and they are still going strong.

The worst tool I've encountered lately was Makita compound miter saw. The saw is a sixteenth of an inch out of whack and there is a crack forming across the housing. It absolutely reeks when running and the work light went out about 5 hours into using it. The guy paid almost 400 bucks for it. There isn't a seam on the machine that actually lines up. I don't know how it ever got out of the factory. Makita use to be a higher end tool back in the day. What the heck happened?

13. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Anyone had experience with the green tools - first it was Hitachi and now Kawasaki has come out with a line of power tools, both lines have green/black cases - any opinions ?

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

We have a policy at my house, created by me and enforced with returns if necissary.....no Black & Decker!!! Everytime someone has something that breaks, check it. It will say B& D. Coffee makers, toasters, etc. My DH had been buying the Makita tools, they seem to be OK so far. He had to buy a more powerful drill, but that was just a power issue. Hitachi is a good name, I have Jap friends and they like the brand as a whole. Kawasaki is an old brand, been around a while, should be reliable.

15. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

Our B&D cordless drills and Makita Drills get lot's of use. The gold batteries work best in the B&D.

Star

16. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

I have the same hammerdrill Ted has (24V). Works OK, if I am not real happy with the amount of charge held (I usually use corded). I think the Firestorm line is supposed to be a little better than their regular, though. Costs about half what the DeWalt costs, for my backup drill/driver.

17. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Thank Wal-Mart - a B&D tool you buy at the big box stores may look like B&D but are a cheap product. Why someone will buy 3 drills at $10 each but not pay $30 for a good drill is beyond me. Finding quality tools is getting difficult - Porter Cable has not been quite as reliable as they were in the past either, especially the batteries for portable tools.