Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for 18 months. Suddenly there will be no water. All is well with the system (water in upper and lower reservoirs (I am on a spring). The pump just stops running. The two guys who have tried to help have determined that the pressure switch is turning off when it shouldn't. I can get it going again by going out on my deck, pulling up the access boards, laying on my stomach on the deck, putting my hand down into a dark hole, and tripping the switch. It works every time. For a while it was only happening once every few weeks. We switched out the pressure switch and it STILL happened. Today it happened TWICE already and once two days ago. :(

It is very disconcerting not to be sure if you are going to have water when you turn on the tap. Does anyone out there have any ideas we can investigate? The pump itself isn't brand new but it is a good one (Myers Pentair jet pump--lives in a pump house, not down in the water) and not too old. My handyman is recommending switching to a submersible pump, but I hate to spend money when the problem may not be the pump. Thank you!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Does your switch have a reset lever.

If so, get rid of it and get one without. Never had a problem until I tried one with a reset lever.

Though some like them.

But a new switch most likely will solve the problem. They can last for years and years, or they can last 6 months.

It isn't hard to change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Danaus -- As I said above, we did switch out the pressure switch.

Rodeo's Bud -- without the reset lever, how do I turn it back on if it stops working? That's the only reason I can get water when it stops working. Are you saying that the reset lever itself is the problem? That would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
27,073 Posts
Oops, sorry. I really do know how to read but still, I missed the whole 2 sentences and caps in relation to the switch.

I'm not familiar with jet pumps, ours is a submersible.

Can your handyman test the pump to make sure it is working properly? Has your handyman checked the electrical connections to make sure they aren't loose or corroded? Has anyone checked your pressure tank to make sure it is functioning? Do you have any in-line filters that might be dirty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything seems to be working fine. Over 18 mos I think we have checked everything 6 times LOL. So the lower reservoir is only about 5 feet deep. I can put a shallow well submersible pump in there right? That is what handyman is recommending now. He feels that the pump is losing prime somehow, even though we can't make it do it when he is watching LOL.

·
Premium Member
27,073 Posts
No intermittent problem ever acts up when the handyman is watching it. There is a rule somewhere about that.

When you have ruled out everything else, then it is time to replace the pump. I'm not sure about switching to a submersible. I don't know if the water is deep enough for one. Has the handyman considered replacing the jet pump?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,665 Posts
Submersible pump
Pump protector system to turn it off when the water level in the pipe falls
Above ground tank to accumulate water
Secondary above ground pump
Pressure tank
Water to house

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I just ordered a submersible pump. Handyman convinced me and you guys concurred. I really don't want to have to keep worrying about this! :)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you have replaced the switch, then the only other thing that it might by is the pump. Have you replaced the control box, that the switch is wired too? I keep an extra control box on hand, if you get a surge even if the breaker trips sometimes it damages the control box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Submersible pump
Pump protector system to turn it off when the water level in the pipe falls
Above ground tank to accumulate water
Secondary above ground pump
Pressure tank
Water to house
Why all this??? Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm on a spring, not a well. I have a 1500 gallon reservoir under the back deck, which the water comes to via gravity from up the hill (where the spring is, and a 500 gallon holding tank). Why would I need a secondary above ground pump?? I'm trying to get RID of that. My handyman says the submersible pump will be all I need (the pressure tank is fine).

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,665 Posts
That is MY system. The pump protector is absolutely critical to keep a submersible pump from burning up if there isn’t water in the well bore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is MY system. The pump protector is absolutely critical to keep a submersible pump from burning up if there isn’t water in the well bore.
Sure - the pump I ordered has a thermal overload switch that turns off the pump to avoid overheating. That should take care of that, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts