Biting

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Oregon1986, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

What would make a rabbit suddenly become aggressive and a bitter? I have a 1 year old Dutch that just finished weaning her litter and ever since I moved her to a new cage,she has bit me anytime I handle her

2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

I am going to guess she is stressed.
    Is the cage in a different spot ? Any other rabbits, like a new neighbor ?
    I have a sweet Dutch doe that I can do most anything with. Just don't be
    wearing a plastic glove and put your hand in her cage. She will grab ahold of
    your hand, and it hurts.

COSunflower and Oregon1986 like this.

3. Oregon1986

Yeah the cage is in a different barn with new neighbors. Lol guess your doe really doesn't like gloves

COSunflower likes this.
  4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

We all do things OUR way---and that's Good. I been raising rabbits---first was in 1977---then on and off until 1995, have raised then ever since. If one of my Rabbits Bites me---the Next Bite is when I set down to a Meal I made out of her/him. Only exception is if she is feeding Babies---then she gets a few weeks longer. I have always done this and I have never Been short on Good Does. I would For Sure Not want to sell a Biter to someone else and can not keep them all---they are raised for food mainly anyway.

arnie, COSunflower and Oregon1986 like this.
  5. Oregon1986

I think I will end up eating her,don't want bit anymore

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I went to the back to feed. Got to the rabbits---started feeding and one Doe had turned her feed bowl upside down---she had not been bred, not weaned any babies recently. I stuck my hand in there to turn the bowl over as I have done many times before----she came close to the bowl as she has done before, but instead of waiting a second for me to pour the feed she put a Hurting Bite on me---I grabbed her, In 5 minutes she was dressed in a cooler, took her to the house---handed the cooler to the Wife---she asked---"whats this" I said a Biter---showed her my hand---she Said OK---I got you!! She washed/Cleaned her up and in the crock pot she went, Yum---My Bite was Goooood!

7. Oregon1986

LMAO now that is karma

Fire-Man likes this.
  8. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I think it was probably hormonal and stress. Female rabbits are prone to this after a litter and some breeds are worse than others.

9. Oregon1986

She was so sweet before this. Think she could go back to being nice?

COSunflower likes this.
  10. ladytoysdream

Okay, what if you put her back where she was as a experiment. Then you will know if the move is what is
    upsetting her. I try to learn and figure out why animals do what they do.

When I bought my first Dutch litter, they were youngsters. 2 males, 2 females. The one male was a biter.
    Did not matter what cage he was in, he charged the door. I tried everything with that animal. Finally sold
    him for pet food. I was not letting him go out for a breeder. Kept Leverne, Shirley and the Fonze. They
    have gave me some nice babies. Shirley is the one who hates gloves. I can reach in and pet her and no
    problems even with a litter. Just don't show her a glove.
    LuLu next to her is a mini lop. Today she swatted me with her paws when I moved her water dish.
    Not sure what her problem was, but I petted her on her back and told her to calm down. Then I petted
    her again. Maybe she just wanted a petting :)
    Willy is a tortoise color Dutch male. He is always crawling out the door as soon as I open it. He wants
    a girlfriend real bad. I just laugh at him a lot. Pick him up and pet him. He keeps peeking in the cage
    next to his, but I tell him, he's boy also. The other day, when I opened his door, Willy fell in the bucket I
    was feeding the pellets from. I put it back to the door and told him to get back in his cage. He sat in the
    bucket and proceeded to sniff every inch of it. I just laughed at him and had to put him back in his cage.
    Rabbits make me smile a lot :)

COSunflower likes this.
  11. Oregon1986

Great idea,I'll see if it makes a difference putting her back

COSunflower likes this.
  12. ladytoysdream

Oh good. I hope it does make a difference :)
    Give her a treat and a few days, and hopefully bunny is back to her normal.
    If rabbits could talk, it would make things easy. They act up when they are displeased.
    That is why they stomp their feet. They are not happy.

13. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

how you handle them can make a difference , try to come in from above even using a lil board to break the ice and make first contact , I personaly like fireman would put her in the pot as there are plenty of mellow mood rabbits ,but you may try n hope for her mood to change .

COSunflower likes this.
  14. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Give her a little piece of carrot or apple each time you open the cage so that she associates it with good things (a treat!). Is the cage big enough that she can move away from the door if someone opens it? My rabbits always liked being stroked in the area right behind the ears on the top of their head where it slopes down. They don't like being petted on the face or around the face at all. How do you pick her up? I've never known a rabbit that liked being picked up by its scruff. I always have picked them up with one hand under their stomach up by the front legs and their back legs and rump with my right hand so that they don't get scared and kick. They like routine also. Being able to predict what you are going to do is important to them for feeling safe. Changes of any kind are hard on rabbits. Of course I always like to take care of an animal's emotional needs along with their physical needs. :) Probably why all of my animals live so long!!! LOL!!! My last old chicken (10 years old) just disappeared right before Christmas. I think an owl got her - there were no feathers or anything - she just disappeared!!! :(

arnie likes this.