Biter...................

Discussion in 'Goats' started by HunterTed, Apr 20, 2005.

1. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Within the past three weeks I have bought some goats. The first that I have had in a long time. Two are bred %Boer does ages 4 and 3 years. Another is a 4 month old % Boer doeling. And the last one I got tonight is a full Boer buckling 5 months old. I have kept the older does together in my east pasture. They came from the same farm. The older doe tries to bite the younger ones through the fence. Tonight when I unloaded the Boer buckling he went over to the fence to check the older does out. The older doe grabbed his ear and tried to pull him through the fence. I will keep the young billy in the barn lot for a week and then turn him out in the bigger pasture with the 2 other does. Do you think the older doe will attack him and hurt him? Or will she just harass him for a little while and then leave him alone? Will she bite on the other does babies when they are born? She is definately the dominant one in the bunch. When I first brought her home she and my big Barbado ram started fighting. I now keep the goats seperate from the Barbados. The little Boer doeling will never be put in with the other goats, she has her own pasture (because she is a pet) so I won't ever have to worry about the bigger goats picking on her. Will this aggression eventually cease to exist in her? Is it because she is in new surroundings? Anything I can do besides breaking her jaw to stop the biting? I know the guy that I got her from and she wasn't mean before. But she was not the dominant one in the bunch.

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you must keep all of them seperated, until they are big enough to fight, and they will fight, or head but, until their pecking order is finished, I keep all babies away from the older ones, and all males away from femals, as a small buck can get a small doe pregant, way before she is large enough to have babies.

3. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

I am sort of taken aback by the previous comments. Maybe I am naive or something worse, I know I don't have a LOT of experience with goats but just to see if someone else might comment, I would say that I just purchased some goats. I have a full boer billy, four assorted nannies, one very pregnant, one getting there and two that are just showing some hints. I purchased two days ago three nannies with two female kids and one wethered kid. Put em all together on day two. Now I am not saying they didn't sort of establish some dominance here and there but mostly it is peaceful and relaxing. My buck is sweet and seems to show a sort of benign indifference to the kids and only social politeness to the nannies. The kids are about a month old. I have a 25 year old gelding quarterhorse and in the morning I love to watch my billy and that horse play. It is a beautiful thing to see.

4. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Thanks all for the replys. Tonight when I was out at the barn feeding she tried the same thing again. My new billy backed off and popped her right square in the nose. She went back to the end of the barn and shook her head then went back to the trough and started eating. I guess I will put him in with the 2 older goats when I am out there. He is pretty big for his age. He outweighed all his brothers by over 10 pounds and all of them are within a week of each other in age. He is at least 3 inches taller too. Basically he is a HOSS. So I named him Boss. But he is sweet and was curled up next to my Great Pyrenees when I went out to the barn. Won't take long till he is way bigger than the nannies and I won't have to worry about him.

GOATDADDY- It seems like all of my animals have a pecking order. Especially my Barbado sheep. I was wondering how the ewe lambs that I kept would fall in order. Seems like each ewe lamb fell right in behind her momma in the pecking order. It is funny to see a 5 month old lamb pushing a grown ewe around.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Goatdaddy, most of my goats have gotten along really well. There's some shoving here and there, but nothing to worry about. Every once in a while, though, you get a mean one. When that mean goat comes around you have to figure out how to deal with her.

A mean goat can bite off a baby's ear - so if she has valuable blood lines and you need her to establish your herd, do you let her bite chunks out of the smaller goats? Or do you keep the younger ones separate until they're big enough to fight back?

Goats are smart. A mean dominant goat will know when you're too far away to do anything, and that's when she (or he) will bite. You can train them to not bite when your close by squirting them or bopping them on the nose, but then what happens when you have other things to do?

Goats do establish a definite pecking order, sometimes it's more brutal and other times it's pretty peaceful. All you can really do is make sure that all of the goats being introduced are big enough to take care of themselves or at least have a safe corner to run into when you introduce them.

6. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Guess if she bites the ears off a baby then I could sell it as a LaMancha.LOL Maybe I need to cross fence my goat pasture and then they would be able to see each other but the little ones could get away from her. I am not attached to the mean nanny in any way. I wanted the other one that I got with her, but they came as a pair. I will probably sell her after she has babies if she keeps being mean.

7. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Okay Okay...I have the goat that bit off her own babies ears...Little by little. Always done when I wasn't around. One day I caught her and dumped her out in the back pasture.

It was sad because the baby cried and cried. By the 3rd day he was hoarse and now he cries for me when the front door opens of our house.

We will be having about 50+ pounds of goat burger before too long.

Mean animals ruin it for themselves. Make alot of nice meals for us!!! lol ;)

8. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Oh, and Ted...I did originally start with a fence between them. Baby would go up and snuggle against the fence and then the mom would poke her head through and nibble the baby again.

Mean animals are just worthless to me.

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

... mostly they just mess around a bit and establish a pecking order
    biting isnt that common , but judging from how she acted when she got whompedi would say she was just feelign her way through the herd, that happens with bigger groups pit together to make a herd, see it all the time at meat goat sales, lots of butting in the mixed herd groups, and in the pens where all are from one herd, they do just fine
    herd dominance is soemthing many dont give much thought too
    but i have seen time and a again a submisive doe get moved to a new herd and all of a sudden it seems like every time she has ever been picked on she wants to kick butt on EVERYONE else!
    they will sort it out .. but yes, i would keep the little ones seperate for a while yet

10. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I have a question on this topic. quick background, dominant female had 4 kids, 3 boys one girl, girl is tiny, I supplemented two of the boys and the girl with bottles along with them nursing mom. They are 6 months old now and the three brothers ( whethers ) just whale the tar out of the doeling if there is any food any where, no matter how many pans or piles of hay. Their motto is SHE WILL NOT EAT. Mostly I stand there and protect her while she eats but last night one of them hurt her so much she cried and she never cries so I took her out and put her in a pen by herself for the night. ( the submissive doe and her doeling will flail at her as well so she can't go with them ) I always figured that it was better to get picked on a bit than be lonely but enough is enough. ( what is amazing is that mom will cuddle with the 3 boys and little girl has to sleep alone at the other end of the stall ) So from now on she will eat and sleep seperate from them and go out with the herd during the day.

Question 1 , will she always have a KICK ME sign on her butt and be the whipping boy for her whole life or will this being mean to her just for meaness sake ever ease up

Question 2, is it ok emotionally for her to be totally alone at night ( she can see in the submissive does stall ) but I can't fit her in over by her mom.