Birthing Kit ???'s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

What do you all have in your birthing kit??? I have 2 does that are preg. and i wanted to get a kit ready for them. The weather is getting mighty frigid and Christmas will be here and I thought that i should be prepared just in case, we cant get out or it things are closed for the holidays. I have some real basics like iodine, thread, scissors, towels and blankets but what else should i have just in case of problems?

Belinda

2. deetu

deetu Well-Known Member

Kid syringe for tube feeding if necessary. I kept putting that off and had to run to the vet and pick one up at 5x's the cost and the distance. (brought the kid with me so I could feed it right away because it took hour travel time) Goat drench for the first pick me up of Vit B. and vitamins. And Probiotics in case you have to bottle feed with regular cows milk for some reason. Oh, and of course, lamb nipples. Jeffers has it all.

Also some old sweaters or sweats that you can cut the sleeves off of to make little goatie sweaters. The sleeves are usually just the right size. Works great.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

This is what I have on hand
    nasal syringe (baby from drug store)
    thermometer (digital from drug store)
    ky jelly or lubricate ( liquid dish soap will work in a pinch)
    rubber gloves (I personally don't use them
    dental floss to tie off navel tube if necessary
    pleanty of paper towels
    old towels
    feed sacks ( I save these to put in just at kidding saves alot of cleaning up the area)
    Nutra drench ( Use this or strong strong black coffee to give the kids an energy boost)
    Warm molasses water for mom after wards.
    I make sure the area is clean, my hands are clean and ready with nails very very short.
    Am sure I have forgotten something.
    Make sure babies get at least 18 to 20 oz of colostrum with in the first 12 hrs.
    It is your decisson as to how you decide to feed the babies (pulling from mom for cae prevention or not) If pulling then the coostrum needs to be heat treated prior to feeding.

4. Mrs_stuart

Thanks! I think i have everything, i just wanted to make sure...with the holiday coming and all, you can never be to sure of yourself...
    We have an ober expecting and a nubian...

Belinda

5. Sondra Peterson

6. Mrs_stuart

Thanks Sondra, I checked out the site and have everything i need all packed up in a "rubber tub" (except the water and such). I really appreciate the site.

Belinda

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Quick list for the doe- just in case of problems:
    CMPK gel or Calcium Gluconate 23% - having just gone through a time with my Alpine doe I'll never be without again. I prefer the calcium gluconate btw.
    Penicillin or Sulmet - just in case of uterine infection
    Red Cell - a lifesaver
    Nutri Drench -
    Your preferred dewormer
    drenching gun for all the above

For kids:
    Tetanus anti -toxin
    Epinephrine
    Disbudding iron and box

BTW Belinda, thank you for the baking soda advice. i think it helped my doe's rumen neutralize from the heavy doses of meds she was getting last week.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Although I keep a complete surgical kit and also have meds on hand in the house, my birthing kit is pretty simple. Towels towels and more towels, I save feed sacks for a couple weeks before kidding and cut them open, so I can birth the kids onto them and also kneel or sit. Something to read. A ziplock baggy with dental floss, for tieing cords that are bleeding longer than I like, strong iodine for spraying cords and feet, a small length of aquarium tubing for cleaning out lungs, 2cc of dopram, just 2 drops under the tongue for kids in respiratory distress, and a couple of cc's of oxytocin the only thing that will stop a uterine bleed (I keep it in a toothbrush holder), a pair of disposable gloves for putting the oxytocin into the uterus, a long mens leather shoelace (clean and in the ziplock) for noosing necks and heads (like mini halters) that will not come down out of the pelvis, a pair of sharp sizzors and a blunt childs one for cutting cords. A 4 cup plastic measuring cup with a handle to milk the doe out, some wetones, her testtube with her name on it for her colostrum.

I have tons of stuff gathered over the years that I have never used.

When I would go out and assist a boer having her kids, it was with a towel over my arm and nothing else. No lube is better or cheaper than mama slime, a towel can be ripped into a long piece if you need something to assist a slimy pull. Nothing happens very fast with birthing that you couldn't trot back to the house, and honestly I would rather work on a kid in the house or milkroom. Luckily if you are there at all for your goats, most birthings are easy, a little assist here, a little assist there, not letting things go on and on is always key. And until you gain some knowledge, having an experienced breeder a phone call away is much better than equipment you can do harm with. Vicki

9. Sondra Peterson

One thing I keep on hand at all times (this isn't needed at kidding time) is
    CD Antitoxin because if you ever need it it is very hard to find and usually Vets don't have it. If you do need it, you need it NOW not later. Tractor Supply may have it but can be ordered from Jeffers if not.