Birthday ideas for DH?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen, I need ideas for dh's birthday present. It's always so hard to find a gift for my husband. It doesn't matter if it is Christmas, Father's Day or His Birthday. He never hints or ask for ANYTHING! We have been married 31yrs. , have grown children, he has very tool a man could ever need/want, we don't have lots of money to spend, he drives 120 miles, works 12 hr days and then works at the farm on weekends, holidays and time off. My children say he doesn't know anything but work... :no:

So, if any of you have lists or ideas of things you (men)would like or have gotten or things you have given (ladies) to your dh, F, FIL, brothers or sons I would love to hear it.. Thanks a million.... Queen Bee!!!

2. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

well, my husband wouldn't admit it, but he does like and use the comfy gifts I give him, like a pair of fleece lined houseshoes that have a good rubber sole on the bottom and can be an outdoor/indoor. At Christmas I got him a large fleece throw and had his nickname, Possum, embroidered in the corner. LandsEnd has some good ones and will do the embroidery for $5 more. Other things we've given him: boot dryer, gas card, gift certificates for his favorite catalogs like ProBass and Cabelea, and he really liked the truck cover we got for his one bad 85.

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Well lets see, he does a lot of driving, so maybe a new gadjet for the vehicle? One of those massager thingies for the seat, window tint, a new radio or favorite music? A foot soak tub with jets, a coupon book filled with "special treats" from the wife ;), new equipment for the farm to make things easier? Have you noticed him comment about anything that seems to make his life difficult, even for a short while? Do his feet hurt, does he need new shoes? Has he stopped doing anything b/c something broke and never replaced, say bar b que-ing or fishing? Does he like to eat fast food, or does he take a cooler? Have you seen those neat coolers that plug into your ciggerette lighter? See if you can find something that he needs, but wont buy for himself. A new razor, jacket, sunglasses? Then if you want you can give him a "sweet gift"...where youre not sure if he needs it, but you wanted him to have it. It doesnt have to be all that expensive, its the thought that counts. Fuzzy slippers work great, as do gift cards. Oh and so do hot oil massages. :D HTH

4. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

If you can get the grown kids to chip in with you, consider getting him
    an XM Satellite Radio System to put in his truck. With so much driving
    it is a good investment. There are all kinds of music, news, sport and talk
    formats he can choose from, commercial free and not subject to fading
    in and out along the trip.

It is a very handy device to have when you have to be behind the wheel
    alone so much.. and it gets very addictive. you will never want to go back
    to commercial radio again.

JMHO

Donovan

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I have the same problem because mine goes out and buys what he wants the minute it enters his mind, and leaves nothing for me to get him. The best gift I ever gave him was a really nice pocket knife. He played with it for most of the day! Those Leatherman ones are really neat.

6. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

I gave my husband a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas (the kind in "A Christmas Story"). Got it at the Bass Pro Shop. He loves it.

Is there anything he did NOT get as a kid that you could give him now?

7. Urban Dreamer

Urban Dreamer Active Member

depending on how much you want to spend on him... you could get him a weekend or night away with the guys, or for you both.

breakfast in bed is always fun too...

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    one year when my dad was the master mechanic on a big construction site...the boston subway station at Cambridge Square, my mom sent a belly dancer troupe to entertain him and the boys at lunchtime for his birthday. Troupe of girls showed up with a boombox and music and asked for dad. They dragged him out from under a bulldozer and they went into their act. Stopped work and traffic for about 1/2 hour. Dad always remembered that birthday as the rest of his co-workers thought it was so cool his wife would do such a thing. Kinda like that old tv commercial where the mom has Dominos deliver pizza to the school on her kids first day in the new school.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Get him a series of audio-books-on-tape to listen to during the long commute. Something by his favorite comedian or author.

10. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Ask him what he wants. Get two or three ideas and pick something from that list. He will get something he wants and you can quit agonizing. Being married doesn't make you a mind reader. I always give my wife a few ideas of what to get me as I am hard to buy for and have few needs/wants. Of course I always include a Harley Davidson on the list but so far I havn't gotten one.

Kirk

11. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, LOL!
    Some of these replies are truly entertaining!!! :haha:

I hate guessing what my Hubby wants and I hate buying him something he won't use. Last year I ordered a new reel for him on-line that he picked out, I had a coupon with $25 off on it. Then for X-mas I asked if he wanted to go to BassPro and buy a new fishing rod to go with it and he was thrilled he got to pick it out himself.

Another thing I do, for those who are hard to buy for, is figure out what they like and get them a gift certificate from that store - this takes the guess work out and you don't spend anymore than you can afford. The GCs are always appreciated because everyone likes to have money they can spend on themselves.
    If Hubby and I don't have much money, we go out to eat at the buffet and take in a dollar movie. Sometimes just getting away from the house is a treat! :p

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You could always buy him a gift certificate for a 1-hour body massage.....

.....by Bambi

13. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

A good dinner, either at home or out, with good friends for pleasant conversation. I would prefer that to a material gift.

If he wears hats or boots that could be a good choice. I tend not to buy expensive items for myself unless I really need them. All the kids and you could go in together for a really good gift instead of a number of small , inexpensive ones.

14. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

LED flashlight is tops on my list. Wide range of prices and makers. I'd luv any size, but a compact clip on area light version would be nice or a big one that has a 600 hour capacity on rechargeables even better.

15. humminbird

humminbird Member

One year I got hubby an electric smoker...he just loves to "cook" now and we just love the smoked turkery. Another time I bought him the fryer, the big kind where you can fry the whole bird...we didn't care for that, so I got him a smaller pot another time and he uses it to fry fish in for big dinners and again...he likes the idea that HE'S doing the cooking! (we all brag, whether its too cooked or not! :haha: ) He was always the worker too and could hardly get him to come in for family dinners...now he gets a turn to cook the family dinner and he HAS to slow down and enjoy the moment!

16. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Ross has touched a point for anyone who drives a lot, and might break down or puncture a tyre on the road.

So did mygrayfarm with the BB gun. Even better would be a regular pellet (not BB) airgun - say 1000 feet per second in .177 calibre, or 850 fps in .20, so it's just sub-sonic. Or a centrefire pistol and a matching air-pistol so he can practice a lot, indoors even, at little cost. Alternatively, if you're game to go up-scale, a .22 rimfire CZ brand with a decent telescopic sight. There are more expensive rimfire rifles, but you won't find more accurate and more robust for less than three times the price.

Or there's ugh boots. Sheepskin, wool in. Warm and comfortable - got slippers beat all to heck.

Or a sharpening stone, medium and fine-sided; with a QUALITY sharpening steel, a good knife in scabbard, a quality pocket knife, and a magnesium fire-starter.

Did you notice all these things are GUY kinda things? They're all JUST for him. There's no way he could think you were thinking of yourself rather than him when you bought them.