Birth ?'s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat mother, Dec 11, 2005.

1. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

We Have A Goat That Had 3 Kids Around 9 A.m. It Was Around 40 When They Were Born Not Really All That Cold. They Were Very Little. One Female Did Not Live But About 2 Hours. She Was Very Cold And The Mother Did Not Stemalate (spelling) Any Of Them She Just Stood And Watched Them. The Other Two Kids Are Not Standing, Or Eating. I Did Get A Few Drops Of First Milk Into Them With A Dropper. We Took Them And Rubbed Them And Cleaned Them After We Saw She Was Not Going To Do This. We Think She Was Waiting For Them To Do Something. After A While They Really Started Moving Around But They Just Wanted To Sleep. The Big ? Is What Do We Do now We Have Them In The House In A Box For The Night Because It Is Too Clod Even With A Heat Lamp. It Is Going To Be Around 30-35 Tonight. What About The Mom.? We Have Had Twins Only. Is This Normal Or Odd? She Is A 1st Time Mom And Was A Show Goat. She Is 75% Boar.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

First off, yes first timers CAN have triplets, we have a doe that gave us triplets the first time, and she is NOT a big goat she is a medium sized goat, this time she only gave us twins though. You need to get as much milk in their stomachs as possible, even if they don't like it, it is REALLY important that they get that milk, by the way, do you know if they got their colostrum within the first 30 minutes? Good Luck, i will be praying for you, and for the babies. Good Luck, bye.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Get those babies warm and get some colostrum into them. I either have someone hold my doe while I put the babies on the teats or I milk the mother and feed the kids with a pritchard nipple on a small pop bottle. If necessary, I have my friend tube the babies. Some first fresheners just don't know what to do. I had to hold one doe for a week for her baby to suck on her. Then, her buddy kidded and she suddenly was this really good mom. Baby goats need to have colostrum ASAP.

4. goat mother

They Did Get Colostrum About 1 1/2 Hours After They Were Born. I Have Dropped About 10 Ml. By Drooper Once An Hour. In The A.m. I Am Going To Get More Nuridrunch I Ran Out On The Mom. I Will Also Go A Head And Try Making Them Suck On The Pritchard Nipple. They Seem To Just Want To Sleep And Not Eat. Till They Get Better P.s. The Colostrum Was The Mothers. Very Rich. How Long Can They Stay Away From The Mom And Her Take Them Back?

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

After about an hour or so, you will have trouble w/mom accepting them at all..she needs too smell them,lick them, etc. too accept them as hers-i think you probably have "bottle babies" by now..unfortunatly one of the reasons its good too be presant at birthings,too start rubbing them vigerously, too put either nutridrench, or even corn syrup, in their mouths too get them going! Too contain the mom if necasry,and let them learn too suck-that alone will usually make her claim them-new mom's don't always know what too do-they may be "sleepy" cuz they are actually becoming hypothermic-more from lack of "nutricion" than cold..read the post on "chilled kids"-it has alot of pointers-i would milk the doe out and feed them bottles, 10 cc's is not nearly enough for the first,almost 12 hours of life(maybe i miss read that, is it 10cc every hour?)..anyway, by morning, i doubt that the doe will take them back..sorry too be the bearer of gloom-on the brighter side-bottle babies are freindlier! Best of luck w/them... :eek:

6. goat mother

Yes That Is 10 Ml. Every Hour If I Need To Do More I Will. I Will Just Milk The Mom As Needed To Store The First Milk That They Need. I Just Did Not Know If I Could Over Feed Them. I Do Not Want To Lose Another Kid It Is Not A Good Feeling

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

When we have a mom not take the kids, we lock them together in a small pen, like a 4x4 or so. Away from all other distractions. Force the mom to let the babies nurse. Someone hold the doe and another to tickle the tail/butt area to stimulate the sucking reflex. (I'm not good at doing it by myself.) Do this every couple of hourse. If you need to keep her jugged up, then do so. We had % doe do that one year, and after she was taught what she had to do....she was the best most protective mom ever.
    Good luck. If at all possible, leave those kids with her.

8. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

An ounce of colostrum for every pound of baby, so quite a lot is needed right off the start or they get chilled and sleepy and get so far behind that it is hard to get them back up and going.
    How are they doing now? We are sending our best wishes your way!

9. goat mother

Last Night Was Long No Sleep But Well Worth It. They Can Suck Now On The P. Nipple. They Do Not Have A Hard Sucking Just A Little But I Take 30 Min To Feed Each One. They Drink About 1 Oz- 1 1/2 Oz Every Hour Now. They Are Very Wobbly But Can Stand For About 3 Min. And They Fall But Then They Are Trying To Get Back Up They Are Just Weak. It Is About 35 Out Side Now I Am Going To Tie Up Mom And Try To Make Them Suck. Here's Hoping She Will Take Them Back. Thank You All For The Help And Prayers. Will Update Later. We May Have To Keep Them In A Small Shed We Have And Pu A Heater In The Shed Just Unsure As How To Do It So Mom Will Not Kick It Over.
    Felica

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Sometimes if you rub mom's scent and/or vaginal discharge on the kids and also some of mom's milk on them the mother's instinct will kick in. It isn't all that uncommon for a first freshener to reject kids.

11. Goat Freak

Just to tell ya, they will probly be sleepy and weak for a while, till they get their energy up and learn where the milk is coming from. We have a bottle baby now that was with his mama for 1 week before she died, and he was pretty weak from the time he was born,never very energetic. When we started to bottle feed him, we had to force him to eat, put the nipple into his mouth and milking the milk into him. Now, about 1 week later, he is MUCH more energetic, he is starting to run, bounce, do all those weird yet cute things that babies USUALLY do at about 1 week old. All you have to do is give them some time, and make sure that they get milk NO MATTER WHAT, our little guy is about 1/3 the size of our boer babies, he is a pygmy/mutt, and he is eating 2 1/2 ounces every feeding, as many feedings as he wants which is over 10 times a day, since yours is a boer cross I would think that each baby should be getting at LEAST 3 ounces every feeding till they start to eat more. Good Luck, I will continue to pray for both you, the babies, and the mother. Bye.

12. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

How about an update? Hope everything is going okay w/babies/bottles/hopefully nursing their mom by now.. :eek:

13. Goat Freak

Yeah, how are they doing, are they better? I hope and pray that everything is allright. Good Luck, bye.

14. goat mother

I Am Happy To Say That The One That Lived Is Living With Her Mother!!!!!!!
    Much To My Surprise She Came Running The Next Day When It Was Warmer I Took Her Kid (hope) Out To Her Mother And Left Her 2 Hours And Then Tried To Get Her To Eat.she Did Not But I Had To Keep Her In The House For Two More Nights. Then I Put Her And Came Back In An Hour To Feed Her And Much To My Surpise She Was Eating. I Was So Happy And The Waether Has Changed And She Stays With Her Mother. And Is Doing Great. We Had Another Goat Have 3 Kid's She Showed No Sign That It Was Time I Went To Get The A Few Things From The Feed Store Came Back She Had Two Living And One Was Dead Where She Had Taken The Sack Off The Legs And Not The Mouth. They Were Big Kid's. That Was Her 1st Ttime. I Was Gone Maybe 2 Hours. She Had No String No Change In Her At All, And Boom There They Were. We Had Another That Had 3 And Things Are Perfect But This Was Here 2nd Time. And I Was Here. We Have Never Had Triplets In 3 Years...... What A Joy. Kids Are So Cute And Crazy. Thank You All For Your Help And I Learned A Lot About Kids And Birthing..... Prays Are Always Answared The Way He Want's.........

15. Goat Freak

Glad to hear that at least one baby made it! Good luck with her and whatever does you have that might go into labor soon. See ya, bye.

16. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Last december one of our boar had her first twins and she tried to take care of them but she couldn't. For some reason her milk just wouldn't drop so after the babies not being able to eat from about 12:00 in the afternoon up till 7:00 at night I finally took them in and gave them the baby colostrum mix stuff I got from the store. At first they didn't want the bottl but I tried the trick my grandparents used with their calves by smearing molasses on the bottl nippl and WHAM those babies jerked the bottles from my hand! Don't give to much just enough to get them wanting the bottle and understanding it. Anyway I was up all night with the little Buster and Dusty offering the bottle whenever they wanted it. The next morning I took them back out to mom and her milk had dropped for them and they feed off her like normal. I had to help her with feeding buster because she didn't make eough milk but they came out o.k .