Birth Control

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Oceanrose, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Ok - first Melissa, I give you permission to delete this if it's too risque' for CF...
    But, I wanted to post this somewhere with a lot of women who have experience :)

Alright -

What do you use for birth control? I'm talking about a committed relationship of course, and something that is of course reversible.

Do you use birth control? In pill, patch, or ring?

Today Sponge?

IUD?

Natural planning? (does it work??)

or......?

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We don't. But then it took us 8 years to even have one.

My sils used & liked NFP.

3. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

my mother used to say an asprin was the best method of birth control........ you hold it between your knees

4. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

LOL, tht sounds like my Grandpa's advice to us. "The surest method of b/c is for you to have a glass of water and nnothing else before bed." I about died when he said it. Now it is funny.

5. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I use the ring. Not so much for the birth control aspect, but because otherwise I'm incapacitated for a few days each month and I couldn't afford to miss that much work/school! I've tried other methods too, but it's the one I like the best. The patch is pretty good too, but the big sticky spot after you peel it off is a bit annoying, plus I don't even like peeling band-aids off. Ow! The shot was awful, but seems to work drastically different for everyone.

6. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I used the pill when I was fertile. Didn't have any problems with it, but when I quit at 35, I went immediately into perimenopause. Don't know if it was my time anyway, or if my body had become dependent on the outside hormones so that it quit producing much of its own.

7. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Pill. No problems. I think that some women have problems but there are so many different brands, one may be fine while another is a nightmare. I'm probably going back onto the minipill this year though. Less problems for those of us with high blood pressure and no periods! :) I'm 38 by the way. Oh, OK...I'll be 39 next month. ;)

8. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Natural Family method. Does it work? We only have one son, and he's almost 12!! No outside medication, or worries of side effects.

Now I must say, I did want more than one child. But now that he's just about 12, don't think I can talk anyone into starting over! :cool: :nono: So it worked a little too well!

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Pill for many years, NFP for a few until we found out we were infertile so I guess it doesn't count :p

10. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Vasectomy!!! (Yippee!!)

When I was in college my doctor actually took my problem to the board because he was stumped. I'm allergic to most condoms and spermacides, the pill (or any form of hormones) gives me migraines, he refused to do an IUD due to my age, etc.... At the time it wasn't much of an issue since they also determined it would take a miracle for me to conceive naturally.

When I moved in with DH we decided to start trying to have a baby right away, since with my complications it was probably going to take a couple years. Nope! 3 months later I was pregnant. Later, when baby was a little over 1, we were discussing if we should have another or if he should get snipped. As we were talking about it I found out I was pregnant. A month after her birth he went in and had it done. (Baby 2 for me brought his total to 4. Add in our niece that often lives with us- we figured that 5 kids were enough for us! LOL)

I must say, that little, minor surgery was one of the best decisions we made!

He is in the process of convincing his best friend to get it done too, since it would be dangerous for his wife to have any more, and she has many of the same problems I do.

11. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Oceanrose - check the Alternative Health forum - there's a recent discussion about this.

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

IUD for over 20 years (not the same one!) with no complications.
    I've always had the copper kind, with no added hormones.
    I have been very pleased, have never had any side effects or an unintended pregnancy while using one.
    If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me! :)

13. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

We use condoms...

we have been married for 7 years now and have 2 children....in the beginning it was wierd buying condoms as we were young and had a child already and we were already married....sometimes I am still embarassed to be in the store checking out the products!!!!!

Rachel

14. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

DH had a vasectomy 25 years ago after we decided 2 babies were enough for us to raise. It apparently has held up well - no accidental pregnancies.

15. HorseMom

HorseMom Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I used condems because we could afford for me to be on b/c and our income was to high for assistance. Now, I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant and still getting used to the idea of being a mom!!

Heidi

16. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I've used Depo-Provera on and off with good results. The only thing that concerned me was that the last time I went off the shots, I started having hot flashes and my cycle wouldn't start up. The doctor put me on the pill to get everything straightened out and now, almost eight years later, I'm fine.

I've heard of other women who have had long-term complications after using DP so you may want to research the topic carefully before going that route.

/VM

17. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

I was on the pill for 14 yrs, since I got married (ages 23-37); went off it (on purpose) a couple of yrs ago, am expecting 2nd child next July :)

18. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I was on the pill in my teens and early twenties, and will never do it again. I just hate the thought of having all of those chemicals in my system.

After having children, I used a variety of methods. I thought condoms were okay until I became pregnant despite using them consistently and not having any breakage. I also liked VCF, which was very easy to use and could be placed prior to any activity. Had my DH not decided to get a vasectomy a few months ago, I would've gotten an IUD.

BTW, Oceanrose, I send you a PM :)

19. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

That's awesome. :)

20. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I use the pill. I will admit it took a couple tries of different brands befor I found one that worked for me. They all kept me from getting pregnant, but one caused depression. Another took my "bedroom want to" away completely.